Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.

Special Characters in Page Name in AEM

Level 2

How to use special characters in page name in aem? As it only allows 

• ‘a’ to ‘z’
  • ‘A’ to ‘Z’
  • ‘0’ to ‘9’
  • _ (underscore)
  • - (dash/minus)
11 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @prachimathur 
Could you please share more details? Like a business case where you need node/page name with special character.

If you create page with special character it may be encoded and node is created with URI encoded value, because sling assume node name will be used for url.

There are only certain characters that are allowed in the URL string regardless node name, alphabetic characters, numerals, and a few characters that can have special meanings.

; , / ? : @ & = + $ - _ . ! ~ * ' ( ) #

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi,

Actually I want to add some text in other languages in page name for example-

når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling but when I add this norway language text the page name field give error. So I just want to know that do we need to add any new configurations to add other languages text?

prachimathur_0-1698412381994.png

Community Advisor

you can use Page tItle to add når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling

but use nar-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling in name field, name filed is technical  and use as node name to create page and will be used as url.

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

You should use the "Title" (jcr:title) field for such names, the node name is more like a technical identifier. 

Esteban Bustamante

Community Advisor

Hello @prachimathur 

Please avoid special characters in the node/page/asset name.

These have been disabled OOTB, because they can cause issues with multiple APIs.

URL Compatibility: Node names are often used in URLs, and some characters, like spaces or special characters, can cause issues in URLs. To ensure that URLs are properly formatted and accessible, certain characters are disallowed in node names.

Compatibility with JCR: AEM is built on top of the JCR standard, which has rules and restrictions regarding valid node names. JCR enforces rules such as disallowing character in node names to ensure compatibility and portability of content between different JCR-compliant systems.

Be cautious while enabling any if needed, you would need to verify multiple AEM functionalities.

Aanchal Sikka

Level 2

Hi,

Actually I want to add some text in other languages in page name field for example-

når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling but when I add this norway language text in the page name field it gives error. So I just want to know that do we need to add any new configurations to add other languages text?

prachimathur_0-1698643454362.png

Community Advisor

I would also recommend the same as @arunpatidar @EstebanBustamante @aanchal-sikka suggested, use the page name with English characters such as nar-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling. 

However, there's another option in the Page Properties, found in the Advanced Tab, called "Alias". You can update the Alias to når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling (in the Norwegian language). This will enable you to access the page using the URL structure /language-masters/.../når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling.html

Level 2

Hi,

I tried to add "når-tik-tok-blir-din-nye-utviklingsavdeling" in the Alias field also but still it is not shown in the url.

Administrator

@prachimathur Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi,

I'm exploring till now, if I got the correct solution I'll share.

Level 2

Hello Everyone,

Actually I got my answer and want to share it with you all. By default AEM does not allow special characters in the page name field. But due to a bug customer were able to enter special character in the page when they copy and paste the page. which is been fixed as a part of SITES-7064 in August release.

Thankyou all!