Expand my Community achievements bar.

SPA Editor: Custom Container Model Not Being Fetched Until Edit

Level 1

I have a custom container that implements the LayoutContainer in my sling model, and extends the Container on my frontend in my React class. Everything is working, however, when the page initially loads in the SPA editor, the child components don't show.  Although they do show after I open the dialog of my container, and confirm changes. 

It appears as though the GET request to the components model does not happen upon the initial load of the editor page, but does happen after I confirm changes from the dialog, thus the children show and are editable after that:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.27.52 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.28.38 AM.png

4 Replies

Community Advisor

The child component won't be added to JCR when you drop a component into the parsys unless you configure the dialog. This is default behaviour in AEM.

To ensure that the child component is added upon dropping, you can use the cq:template functionality. By adding the child node in the cq:template, child component will be added to JCR when you drop the component into the parsys. This cq:template content serves as default values whenever you drop a new instance of the component into the parsys.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <jcr:root xmlns:cq="http://www.day.com/jcr/cq/1.0" xmlns:jcr="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0" 
   jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured">
   <column_container jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
     sling:resourceType="myapp/component/column-container"/>
 </jcr:root>

Level 1

I should clarify:  The Column Container component doesn't show when it has already been added within the Row Container.  For instance, these are the steps I took:

1. Add the Row Container to the page

2. Add the Column Container within that

- everything is authorable at this point

3. Refresh the page

- only the row container is authorable after refresh and the column container no longer shows (Row Container model was not fetched)

4. Open the Row Container dialog and confirm changes

- The Column Container now shows and is authorable at this point 

Administrator

@awo1 Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1

Hello, could you please tell me how did you manage to create a custom container?