Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Setting Up A Local AEM Dispatcher With Docker | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

Setting Up A Local AEM Dispatcher With Docker by Juan Ayala

Abstract

Reverse proxy and caching are two of the many features provided by the AEM dispatcher module. It is the prism through which your web users will view content on the AEM publisher. Developers will say the development and operations (DevOps) team handles it. DevOps rely on developers to provide instructions on how to configure it. Hardly anyone sets it up in their local environment. Instead, they depend on remote systems to test and debug. This can sometimes turn into a game of whack-a-mole until things work.

In this post, I will review how to set up a local dispatcher using docker to proxy to your local AEM publish instance. We will be able to update config files, trace logs, and debug. When we send the configuration to DevOps, it will be with an “it worked on my computer” stamp of approval.

Install Docker
We leverage Docker to avoid the difficulties that come with installing Apache on your platform (Windows or macOS). We are also getting an environment that is pretty close to what AMS would be using. Installing Docker on your platform should be fairly straight forward. Once installed, you can verify with the following commands

Create an Archetype Project
You may have your own Apache configuration. Before you throw those in, let’s build a baseline using the archetype project. Note that the aemVersion is set to 6.5.0 which is NOT the same if you were using AEM as a cloud service. This means that they will work on AMS dispatchers, not AEM as a Cloud Service.

mvn -B archetype:generate \
-D archetypeGroupId=com.adobe.aem \
-D archetypeArtifactId=aem-project-archetype \
-D archetypeVersion=24 \
-D appTitle="My Site" \
-D appId="mysite" \
-D groupId="com.mysite" \
-D aemVersion="6.5.0"

Read Full Blog

Setting Up A Local AEM Dispatcher With Docker

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies