Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Replication from Author to Publisher specific to the region

Level 2

Hi,

currently i have one Author and multiple Publisher wrt the region they cater. For Example, i have created 3 sites for Canada, Asia and Europe in Author (using MSM concept). There are three Publishers located at the respective region ie Canada, Asia and Europe

In Author i have configured 3 replication agent to publish content to 3 publishers respectively. Now when i publish a page from canada site, the same page is created in all the three publishers. Though this page specific to Canada will never be called from other 2 regions.

So my question is if the replication from a single Author be configured in such a way when we publish a page it is replicated to the publisher specific to the region. 

Regards

Sandeep.S

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Sandeep1980 wrote...

Hi,

currently i have one Author and multiple Publisher wrt the region they cater. For Example, i have created 3 sites for Canada, Asia and Europe in Author (using MSM concept). There are three Publishers located at the respective region ie Canada, Asia and Europe

In Author i have configured 3 replication agent to publish content to 3 publishers respectively. Now when i publish a page from canada site, the same page is created in all the three publishers. Though this page specific to Canada will never be called from other 2 regions.

So my question is if the replication from a single Author be configured in such a way when we publish a page it is replicated to the publisher specific to the region. 

Regards

Sandeep.S

Hi,

in order to achieve this you can do the following:

1. Create 3 replication agents, one for each region(you have already done this)
  2. Create a separate user account to act as the Agent User ID for each of your sites, so for Canada, Asia, Europe you have rep_user_canada, rep_user_asia and rep_user_europe
  3. Make sure each account only has read access to the appropriate site: resp_user_canada only has read on the Canada content tree
  4. When you now activate content in the Canada tree, the replication event is sent to all three agents, but only the replication queue which has the user agent id set to rep_user_canada can read the content, so only it will replicate the content to the Canada publish instance. The other replication agents won't do anything as their users do not have read access.
  5. If I remember correctly, a drawback to this approach is that the replication queues that don't have read access can end up generating warnings in the error.log because they can't see the content. But that is a minor inconvenience.

Regards,

Opkar

[0] https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/deploy/configuring/replication.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

This is covered in  this AEM doc topic:

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/deploying/replication.html

You can configure replication agents to work with different publish instances.

Correct answer by
Employee

Sandeep1980 wrote...

Hi,

Regards

Sandeep.S

Hi,

in order to achieve this you can do the following:

1. Create 3 replication agents, one for each region(you have already done this)
  2. Create a separate user account to act as the Agent User ID for each of your sites, so for Canada, Asia, Europe you have rep_user_canada, rep_user_asia and rep_user_europe
  3. Make sure each account only has read access to the appropriate site: resp_user_canada only has read on the Canada content tree
  4. When you now activate content in the Canada tree, the replication event is sent to all three agents, but only the replication queue which has the user agent id set to rep_user_canada can read the content, so only it will replicate the content to the Canada publish instance. The other replication agents won't do anything as their users do not have read access.
  5. If I remember correctly, a drawback to this approach is that the replication queues that don't have read access can end up generating warnings in the error.log because they can't see the content. But that is a minor inconvenience.

Regards,

Opkar

[0] https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/deploy/configuring/replication.html

Level 2

Thanks that was helpful.

Regards

Sandeep.S