Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

Realistic example of a component developed through composition?

au4liferz
Level 4
Level 4

I'm a bit confused by the concepts of overriding, inheriting and composition to build components. It would seem that copying code directly from /libs/foundation would be strongly discouraged, (due to the issue that would result after upgrades), so I don't really want to consider that as as option. 

1. With inheritance, will I always have to completely re-write the javascript that provides the core functionality for the component? If so, what is the real benefit. Can I keep most of the functionality and selectively "override" to provide my own implementation for a particular behavior, and/or extend the functionality with additional javascript? If so, how do I go about  doing this? Just write a separate javascript file and call it as necessary, and then modify the presentation piece to accommodate the new behavior if necessary?

2. With composition, how do I go about combining existing components? Pull in and leverage/call the implementation, (i..e javascript, Java code etc.), and then write or modify the presentation module and dialog to accommodate all of the combined behaviors?

0 Replies