Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Read-only PDFs in the DAM

Level 4

Is there a way to convert PDFs in the AEM DAM so they are Read Only? Our marketing team uploads editable PDFs into the DAM but they are wondering if there's a script or workflow to modify PDFs to make them read-only after they get uploaded?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@stiegjo22  You can extend the OOTB DAM asset update workflow to add a new process step that performs the action that you are looking for. 

As for the actual task i.e. setting the pdf to read only, if you are using something like a Apache FOP, you can use the encryption settings from this API to set various access constraints on the pdf file.

More details on that -- https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/pdfencryption.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@stiegjo22  You can extend the OOTB DAM asset update workflow to add a new process step that performs the action that you are looking for. 

As for the actual task i.e. setting the pdf to read only, if you are using something like a Apache FOP, you can use the encryption settings from this API to set various access constraints on the pdf file.

More details on that -- https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/pdfencryption.html

Level 9

@stiegjo22 : Can you not give only read permission to the DAM path containing these PDFs?
Users part of marketing group can have all the access and rest of the users i.e content-authors or any other user can be given read access only.
This could be a approach without needing to do any modifications or code changes to your system.

thanks.

Community Advisor

Hi @Kamal_Kishor 
I think this make the PDF asset not editable in the AEM but PDF itself will be editable.

Arun Patidar

Level 9

you are right @arunpatidar .
@stiegjo22 : Please ignore my response if you want to make PDFs non-editable not just in AEM but otherwise as well.
thanks.