Random Package name in 6.3 sp2

Avatar

Avatar
Give Back
Level 2
susheels7634032
Level 2

Likes

4 likes

Total Posts

2 posts

Correct reply

0 solutions
Top badges earned
Give Back
Ignite 1
Boost 3
Boost 1
View profile

Avatar
Give Back
Level 2
susheels7634032
Level 2

Likes

4 likes

Total Posts

2 posts

Correct reply

0 solutions
Top badges earned
Give Back
Ignite 1
Boost 3
Boost 1
View profile
susheels7634032
Level 2

19-08-2018

After upgrading to 6.3 SP2, package names are randomly getting generated if we don't define properties.xml file in the vault. Previously it worked without that and whatever name we gave to the package was taken as the package name.

Problem:

In Jenkins, we have a script which copies the generated zip file and renames it to packagename.st.buildnumber.zip and then deploys. So that we have packages for each deploy for tracking purpose. Now, this is broken as it always generates random and deploys fails.

To fix this we added a property.xml file to the vault and gave entry name which is required. But now the problem here is the name is fixed even if the rename the zip from Jenkins, still it will have the name defined in property.xml(This is expected). So deploy is failing again.

A possible solution is to update the zip file and change the property.xml file with the dynamic name on each build and zip it back - This is complex.

Any other simpler solutions ????

Replies

Avatar

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile
smacdonald2008
Level 10

20-08-2018

Checking with internal ppl to see if this issue is a known issue.

Avatar

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile
smacdonald2008
Level 10

21-08-2018

Team responded - property.xml  must be presented in a package. I don’t know why it was working before.

Avatar

Avatar
Give Back
Level 2
susheels7634032
Level 2

Likes

4 likes

Total Posts

2 posts

Correct reply

0 solutions
Top badges earned
Give Back
Ignite 1
Boost 3
Boost 1
View profile

Avatar
Give Back
Level 2
susheels7634032
Level 2

Likes

4 likes

Total Posts

2 posts

Correct reply

0 solutions
Top badges earned
Give Back
Ignite 1
Boost 3
Boost 1
View profile
susheels7634032
Level 2

22-08-2018

Previously without the property.xml, it used to take the zip name but now it has become mandatory I think, without the property.xml its generating random zip. If its mandatory how can I change the name dynamically from Jenkins. In Jenkins we are taking the package and renaming it and deploying. Now doing that creates random packagename.

Avatar

Avatar
Level 1
chaitanyak82915
Level 1

Likes

0 likes

Total Posts

1 post

Correct reply

0 solutions
View profile

Avatar
Level 1
chaitanyak82915
Level 1

Likes

0 likes

Total Posts

1 post

Correct reply

0 solutions
View profile
chaitanyak82915
Level 1

23-08-2018

Even we have the similar issue. Right now our complete development is stuck.

Avatar

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile
smacdonald2008
Level 10

28-08-2018

The eng team provided the response here. They stated you need the xml file in the package.

Avatar

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile

Avatar
Validate 25
Level 10
smacdonald2008
Level 10

Likes

1,409 likes

Total Posts

12,671 posts

Correct reply

2,278 solutions
Top badges earned
Validate 25
Validate 10
Validate 1
Give back 900
Give back 600
View profile
smacdonald2008
Level 10

28-08-2018

Also - why use Jenkins over Maven directly as is mentioned in all AEM docs.

Avatar

Avatar
Coach
Employee
Jörg_Hoh
Employee

Likes

1,134 likes

Total Posts

3,166 posts

Correct reply

1,079 solutions
Top badges earned
Coach
Give back 600
Ignite 5
Ignite 3
Ignite 1
View profile

Avatar
Coach
Employee
Jörg_Hoh
Employee

Likes

1,134 likes

Total Posts

3,166 posts

Correct reply

1,079 solutions
Top badges earned
Coach
Give back 600
Ignite 5
Ignite 3
Ignite 1
View profile
Jörg_Hoh
Employee

28-08-2018

Hi,

The problem you face is a symptom. I call it a symptom, because the result of your Jenkins build is not unique in a way, that the resulting artifact is unique in name; instead your Jenkins build always produces the same file name. If the filename would be unique, you don't need to do the renaming in Jenkins but you could directly deploy without problems.

To address the root cause you should try to add a custom properties.xml into the content-package, but rather create a proper content-package with a build-dependent unique filename. There are a number of ways for this, maybe create a new version number for every build or integrate a timestamp in the name of the generated file.

Jörg