Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

"Virtual" assets in the Dam

Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to AEM, so bear with me. I'm tasked to integrate a sort of 'virtual asset' into an AEM website.
The use-case is that the end-user wants to manage videos, hosted on external websites (youtube, vimeo) as if they are AEM assets.

I started looking into doing this by creating a custom AEM DAM Media Handler, and define a new mime-type for these types of embeds.
The DAM documentation I found so far seems to suggest though that really the DAM is intended for physical files. We don't really have a physical file here, just a number of properties linking to the right resource.

So my question to you is, would we be abusing the intent of the DAM by taking this approach? Am I thinking about this all wrong? Willing to do the research, but I can use a few pointers in the right direction.

Cheers,

Evert

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

AEM DAM does not support virtual assets. You need to place physical files there if you want to use AEM DAM functionality. Remember that AEM is a CRM - meaning that the resource is in the repository.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

AEM DAM does not support virtual assets. You need to place physical files there if you want to use AEM DAM functionality. Remember that AEM is a CRM - meaning that the resource is in the repository.

Level 1

smacdonald2008 wrote...

It makes sense, but the 'content' in this case is the meta-data associated with it. A link itself could be considered 'content', even if the target is not stored locally.

But I guess that's semantics and not super important. Our real goal is that the customer can manage their remote content in a central place in AEM, and in particular manage the links and meta-data, which can then be embedded again in any page in their website.
If the DAM is not the appropriate place to store this type of content, is there a different approach you can recommend?

Thanks for your quick response!

Evert