Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Problems running Sample Native Android App with AEM 6.0

Level 3

Hi, 

I am currently investigating on how to integrate content from AEM to mobile apps.  I've found this sample project on Github:

https://github.com/Adobe-Marketing-Cloud/app-sample-android-phonegap

I am having extreme problem getting this project to run. Apart from a lot of Android issues, I can't get quite a lot of dependencies to be resolved.

A lot of the dependency versions are not available in the Adobe Repository (e.g com.adobe.granite.ui.commons version 5.5.130) and I switched to other versions. And the "cq-mobile-phonegap-wcm-core" jar I can't find at all in the Adobe repo. Where can I get this from?

Additional questions:

Are there any samples on integrating content from AEM into native apps (not phonegap) out there?

A lot of the AEM/Mobile app resources state that you can 'reuse existing content'. How exactly can this be achieved? I would want to reuse content from a desktop website for a mobile app but thought that the app would need app-specfic components. Where is my gap of understanding this? :)

Thanks for any help, 

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Alex,

Thanks for bringing up the issues you are encountering with the sample native Android app.  I am going to look into the build issues you encountered and will update the Git project.

Did you follow the README for setting up your local Maven environment for Android?

This sample in particular demonstrates how web content from AEM can be embedded into a native app via a Cordova web view.  If you don't want to access device APIs you could also embed AEM web content directly into a native web view instead.  Another option would be to have AEM only render data that your native app can consume.  I don't know of any publicly available samples yet that cover these latter examples.  

Are you interested in still using the AEM authoring environment to create content?  In some cases it should be possible to reuse components from your desktop site but more often this is not possible since your mobile app doesn't look identical to your desktop site. Another option would be to just share image and text assets between your web and mobile content. If you split up your clientlibs appropriately you may also be also to share some common designs.

Anthony

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Former Community Member

I also faced same condition. Thanks for shareing problem with us.

After putting lots of efforts, I felt myself bore. So I have used Showbox App to watch free movies.  

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Alex,

Thanks for bringing up the issues you are encountering with the sample native Android app.  I am going to look into the build issues you encountered and will update the Git project.

Did you follow the README for setting up your local Maven environment for Android?

This sample in particular demonstrates how web content from AEM can be embedded into a native app via a Cordova web view.  If you don't want to access device APIs you could also embed AEM web content directly into a native web view instead.  Another option would be to have AEM only render data that your native app can consume.  I don't know of any publicly available samples yet that cover these latter examples.  

Are you interested in still using the AEM authoring environment to create content?  In some cases it should be possible to reuse components from your desktop site but more often this is not possible since your mobile app doesn't look identical to your desktop site. Another option would be to just share image and text assets between your web and mobile content. If you split up your clientlibs appropriately you may also be also to share some common designs.

Anthony

Level 3

Hi Anthony, 

thanks for updating the Git project. I have not yet tried to build the updated version but will soon. 

I did indeed follow the README for setting up the Maven (via the Maven deployer) and Android environment.  

Thanks, 

Alex

Level 3

Hi again Alex,

The git hub project build dependencies have been updated and the public Adobe repo was added as well.  I also updated the Android API levels while I was in there making fixes.

You should now be able to build and install the content package to AEM with any standard Maven setup.

As for building Android it is a little more complicated.  I suggest you follow the instructions here: http://books.sonatype.com/mvnref-book/reference/android-dev-sect-config-build.html#android-dev-sect-....

This helped me out.  In particular there is a Git Hub repo that helps automate the process of adding your downloaded Android SDKs to a local Maven repo.  https://github.com/simpligility/maven-android-sdk-deployer

Good luck!