Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Please help me to fix this error "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bad escape sequence: %"

Level 1

When I check the error log for one instance it is throwing Bad escape sequence. Please help me to fix this

ERROR* [qtp1968936611-3259627] org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.ParameterSupport getRequestParameterMapInternal: Error parsing request java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bad escape sequence: %3Q at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.Util.parseNVPairString(Util.java:330) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12] at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.Util.parseQueryString(Util.java:215) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12] at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.ParameterSupport.getRequestParameterMapInternal(ParameterSupport.java:256) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12] at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.ParameterSupport.getParameter(ParameterSupport.java:179) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12] at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.parameters.ParameterSupportHttpServletRequestWrapper.getParameter(ParameterSupportHttpServletRequestWrapper.java:40) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12] at com.day.crx.security.token.TokenCookie.fromRequest(TokenCookie.java:98) [com.day.crx.sling.crx-auth-token:2.5.36] at com.day.crx.security.token.TokenCookie.getTokenInfo(TokenCookie.java:137) [com.day.crx.sling.crx-auth-token:2.5.36] at com.day.crx.security.token.impl.TokenAuthenticationHandler.extractCredentials(TokenAuthenticationHandler.java:490) [com.day.crx.sling.crx-auth-token:2.5.36] at org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.AuthenticationHandlerHolder.doExtractCredentials(AuthenticationHandlerHolder.java:76) [org.apache.sling.auth.core:1.4.2] at org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.AbstractAuthenticationHandlerHolder.extractCredentials(AbstractAuthenticationHandlerHolder.java:60) [org.apache.sling.auth.core:1.4.2] at org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.SlingAuthenticator.getAuthenticationInfo(SlingAuthenticator.java:735) [org.apache.sling.auth.core:1.4.2] at org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.SlingAuthenticator.doHandleSecurity(SlingAuthenticator.java:483) [org.apache.sling.auth.core:1.4.2] at org.apache.sling.auth.core.impl.SlingAuthenticator.handleSecurity(SlingAuthenticator.java:460) [org.apache.sling.auth.core:1.4.2] at org.apache.sling.engine.impl.SlingHttpContext.handleSecurity(SlingHttpContext.java:131) [org.apache.sling.engine:2.6.12]

What was the approach to escape the % character in the URL

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hello 

So if I understand correctly, you are trying to visit a URL with a '%' character in it and it is causing issues?

If you want to escape the '%' character you should use the following: '%25'. SO for example:

'www.example.com?percentage=25%'

becomes:

"www.example.com%3Fpercentage%3D25%25"

You can test this easily by opening your browser console (right here on this page if you want) by hitting F12 and then using the following native function: encodeURIComponent():

Peek 2020-03-26 17-54.gif

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hello 

So if I understand correctly, you are trying to visit a URL with a '%' character in it and it is causing issues?

If you want to escape the '%' character you should use the following: '%25'. SO for example:

'www.example.com?percentage=25%'

becomes:

"www.example.com%3Fpercentage%3D25%25"

You can test this easily by opening your browser console (right here on this page if you want) by hitting F12 and then using the following native function: encodeURIComponent():

Peek 2020-03-26 17-54.gif

Employee Advisor

It looks that your URL is incorrect: "Bad escape sequence: %3Q" means that there is a sequence "%3Q" which is considered as an URL escaped sequence, but it's not valid.

Can you post the complete URL (at least the part after the pagename)? How is this URL created?