Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Page Activations related doubt.

Level 9

Suppose I have my replication set up in such a way that from author it will go to publish1 and from publish1 to various other publishers.

Suppose pages are activated from author to publish1 and status turns green in author but the pages are not actually published. If second activations (from publish1 to publish2, 

publish3 etc) are stuck in queue, then page may or may not be available in live site. In this case user will complain that pages are activated in author.

How should this be handled.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

Personally I don't like the architecture, that your author activates to a publish, which then acts as a hub and replicates the changed pages/assets to the "real" publishs. For exactly the reasons which have already been mentioned:

• Activation status on author is not necessarily correct
  • hard to monitor
  • dependency on a single point of failure for replication
  • complicates the complete setup

The additional load must not be your concern in the first place, since the impact is low, and it doesn't outweigh the costs of the above mentioned topics. Only in very rare cases I would say, that this is acceptable. But then you should know what you do, and you should have a solution for it. In every other case: Just don't do it.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

But what is the reason for you to look at this option over the conventional method ?? 

Couple of advantages on the conventional method

a. Single point of data replication

b. Handling UGCs will be easier 

c. Data Consistency

Level 9

Also, what are the disadvantages/advantages of this over the conventional method[single author replicating to multiple publish instances].

Level 9

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.

Level 9

Hi bsloki,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Not very sure, but we were told this is a better approach than conventional one.

I guess mainly because :

- In conventional approach, it would put too much of load on authors, when replications are many.

Two questions I have is :

- The one I asked initially "Suppose I have my replication set up in such a way that from author it will go to publish1 and from publish1 to various other publishers.Suppose pages are activated from author to publish1 and status turns green in author but the pages are not actually published. If second activations (from publish1 to publish2, publish3 etc) are stuck in queue, then page may or may not be available in live site. In this case user will complain that pages are activated in author." How should this be handled?

- What is 'Handling UGCs'.

Level 10

1. You have to clear your replication queue. Refer this [1]

[1] http://www.wemblog.com/2012/07/how-to-clear-replication-queue-in-cq.html

2. UGCs is nothing much 'User Generated Contents' like rating, comments etc..

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

Personally I don't like the architecture, that your author activates to a publish, which then acts as a hub and replicates the changed pages/assets to the "real" publishs. For exactly the reasons which have already been mentioned:

• Activation status on author is not necessarily correct
  • hard to monitor
  • dependency on a single point of failure for replication
  • complicates the complete setup

The additional load must not be your concern in the first place, since the impact is low, and it doesn't outweigh the costs of the above mentioned topics. Only in very rare cases I would say, that this is acceptable. But then you should know what you do, and you should have a solution for it. In every other case: Just don't do it.

Level 9

Hi bsloki,

I am referring to issue "The content authors might confuse the green icon in siteadmin/damadmin because as soon content reaches publish (6503) turns green before all targets (6503, 6507) actually have the content" in http://aemfaq.blogspot.com/2013/05/chain-replication-sample.html.

Any thoughts on how this can be handled.

Level 9

Hi Jorg,

Thank you for your reply. Completely agree with you, but we do not have much control over such decisions[changing from conventional method to the new model] here.

This being the case, is there any way the monitoring aspect[mentioned in detail in earlier post] can be handled.

Level 9

Hi All,

Any thoughts on the immediate above post will be helpful.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I understand your position in this discussion with your customer. But as said, unless you have very specific conditions I would not go for the model you described. Mostly because the work you have to do to make it work in a good way is substantial and there is no out-of-the-box solution or something which is easy to implement. Please get in touch with the responsible architect and do the discussion (again). I know, that these kind of discussions aren't easy, especially when you need to change an architectural decsision later in the project. If you need help in that discussion you could also reach out for Adobe Professional Services to support you in this discussion.

But I really ask you not take this approach. In my opinion the costs are higher than any benefit you expect from it.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 10

I think we should be able to override the function where they update the status on the siteadmin page. I will try and see if I can find the place 

Level 9

Hi bsloki,

Thank you for your reply. Will be waiting for your inputs.