Your achievements

Level 1

0% to

Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

View all

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Package Replication

Gunars_Vilcins
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Every month or so, I package the pages I have in my Production enviroment and move them down to my lower environments to keep them in sync.

I typically create and build the package from Prod-Author (/content/my-project).
Then upload and install in my Dev-Author instance; replicate from Dev-Author to Dev-Publish. Pretty straightforward.

What I noticed was that if I have any deactivated pages, they show up as "deactivated", but I'm still able to view them from the Dev-Publish URL.
They even show up as "deactivated" within /siteadmin from Dev-Publish.

To fix, I had to re-deactivate from the Dev-Author instance.

Does replicating publish deactivated items?
What am I missing here?

1 Accepted Solution
Jörg_Hoh
Correct answer by
Employee
Employee

Hi,

the replication status is stored in the repository, and when you transfer your content dump from production environment to your lower environments, this information is copied over as well. Even if on DEV-publish the page is available (it has not been deactivated on DEV), the DEV-author shows the persisted state from author.

If you want to have a consistent state here, you should copy the content from PROD-publish to DEV-publish as well, that's the easiest way. Or you can write code, which runs through all your pages on DEV-author and deactivates all pages, which have a activation state of "deactived". Double deactivation doesn't harm.

Cheers,
Jörg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ratna_Kumar
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

Hi,

Did you check replication logs /etc/replication/agents.author.html? Normally when you activate/deactivate your pages, it will go to replication queue. Did you check whether the pages are stuck in replication queue.

If so, select all items and do "force retry" and check once again. Also check whether all your pages are deactivated or not - it must be red(if deactivated).

See this article also if this solves your issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/replication-stuck.html       
                                                                  https://helpx.adobe.com/marketing-cloud/experience-manager/faq_aem.html

~ Ratna.

Gunars_Vilcins
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Ratna, 

Yes, I checked replication queue, and upon replication, it was there, then after a little while, it processed as expected.

The deactivated pages appear red in both Author and Publish instances (under siteadmin), but still show up from Publish URL, as if you were viewing from the public.

sandeepm744005
Level 5
Level 5

Sounds like the real issue with AEM while replicating content through package manager from Author to Publish, deactivated pages shows up on the Publish because they still exist in the environment. I would suggest to raise a daycare ticket if it is urgent issue otherwise you can live with alternate method of explicitly deactivate content pages in Author to remove them from Publish instance.

Gunars_Vilcins
Level 3
Level 3

Good point, could be one of those quirky AEM things. I can always resort to using tree activation and check "ignore modified".

Thanks all for the input!

Jörg_Hoh
Correct answer by
Employee
Employee

Hi,

the replication status is stored in the repository, and when you transfer your content dump from production environment to your lower environments, this information is copied over as well. Even if on DEV-publish the page is available (it has not been deactivated on DEV), the DEV-author shows the persisted state from author.

If you want to have a consistent state here, you should copy the content from PROD-publish to DEV-publish as well, that's the easiest way. Or you can write code, which runs through all your pages on DEV-author and deactivates all pages, which have a activation state of "deactived". Double deactivation doesn't harm.

Cheers,
Jörg

View solution in original post