Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

newbie question on 5.4 vs. 6.0 discrepancy

Level 1

here is the scenario...

1) when our image search returns results, we have custom code that allows us to hover over the image and see a tooltip of the image name

2) this worked in AEM 5.4 but does not seem to in 6.0

3) the html div elements holding the image references and their attributes are identical in 5.4 and 6.0 when I look in firebug

Questions:

1) how can I debug this to find the difference between the 5.4 rendered page and 6.0 rendered page? It seems like it is a javascript library issue because the head section holding the js libraries has many differences between the 2 versions.

2) how would I find what code is executed by AEM in order to render the page given just the rendered source code of the page and the post url. Once I find the JSP page that is rendered, I can compare the 5.4 version of that code vs. the 6.0 version to see what has changed.

3) is question 2 the right approach to solve this problem?

Atached is the 5.4 image search showing a tooltip and the 6.0 search showing no tooltip

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

This is discussed in this AEM doc that talks about upgrading and testing your custom component. 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/deploy/upgrade/planning.html

Areas of Risk

When preparing the upgrade you need a list of all points where the project extended or customized the product. Such points include custom components, overlays and extensions of foundation components, special selectors, overlayed widgets and many others. 

I would recommend that you look at re-building the component in AEM 6. As you mentioned, it is most likely a JavaScript lib issue. Sometime newer libs cause isses with older app logic. 

For your component - are you using 3rd party JS libs like a JQuery plug-in? 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

This is discussed in this AEM doc that talks about upgrading and testing your custom component. 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/deploy/upgrade/planning.html

Areas of Risk

When preparing the upgrade you need a list of all points where the project extended or customized the product. Such points include custom components, overlays and extensions of foundation components, special selectors, overlayed widgets and many others. 

I would recommend that you look at re-building the component in AEM 6. As you mentioned, it is most likely a JavaScript lib issue. Sometime newer libs cause isses with older app logic. 

For your component - are you using 3rd party JS libs like a JQuery plug-in?