Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Multiple dispatchers with common cache directory (doc root)

Level 4

Hi all ,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this.

We have have multiple publishers and each publisher is attached to individual dispatchers. Each dispatcher has their own separate cache directory (DOC ROOT). We are thinking to have just one common cache directory (say a network drive) for all these dispatchers.

Just wanted to check if there is any disadvantage of having common cache directory for multiple dispatchers ? Anything from site performance prospective since now we have just one DOC ROOT instead of multiple (anything from I/O prospective). Might be there is big disadvantage which i have not considered yet.

Couple of advantages of this approach i see is:
1) Less disk space usage since now we have just one cache directory instead of multiple
2) Less bad cache issue (if cache is good then its good for all users - there is no mix of good and bad cache for different users)
3) Dispatcher cache priming - we do not need to prime cache for multiple dispatchers
4) Content Sync Issue - Less troubleshooting time since now we know that there is just one cache directory
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

AFAIK there were some tries in the past using NFS, but in the end there were problems with the stability of this approach (mostly locking). Please also check [1] for some aspects you should consider.

kind regards,
Jörg

[1] https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/connecting-dispatchers-and-publishers/, especially the last section

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

AFAIK there were some tries in the past using NFS, but in the end there were problems with the stability of this approach (mostly locking). Please also check [1] for some aspects you should consider.

kind regards,
Jörg

[1] https://cqdump.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/connecting-dispatchers-and-publishers/, especially the last section

Employee

Hi Rohit,

I haven't heard of this configuration before, therefore you would need to do extensive testing.

Another disadvantage to add to your list would be you now have a single point of failure.

How many publish instances will you have? If you have them in separate data centres, then you may have network issues to deal with. Network latency would have to be very low for all the servers.

Regards,

Opkar