Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Multi Site Manager: Rollout to Live copy of a Live copy to create a hierarchy of Sites

Level 1

Can I create a hierarchy of sites that inherit content from parent site(s) using the AEM Muti Site Manager?

I'm exploring the Multi Site Manager Live Copy/Rollout feature to be able to create a structure of sites where sites inherit content from their base site, to be able to accomplish a "Create once plublish everywhere" solution for all child sites of the site where I create the content which could be at any level of the hierarchy of sites. MSM seems to offer this kind solution only for a single level, in that it allows me to Rollout content from a source site (blueprint) to a target site (live copy), so that the target site can inherit content from the source site and I can enable/disable this inheritance on a component per component basis, but I actually need to be able to create a live copy of that live copy and so on and then selectively rollout content from the source or from the "middle" live copy. My problem is that when I create a live copy of a live copy and then rollout content from the original blueprint, that content only reaches the first level live copy (the "middle" live copy), and if I open the "middle" live copy, the Rollout button is disabled in the Sidekick, so there doesn't seem to be a way to propagate the content down a hierarchy of live copies.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible to accomplish with the MSM or whether it is out of it´s scope?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Luis Fernando Duarte wrote...

Hi Sham,

Thanks for your reply. The AEM version would be 6.0. Using the Classic UI the steps followed were:

First part: Create the first level "middle" Live Copy

1) Create a folder within Websites

2) Select the folder and click the "New Live Copy" button

3) Give the Live copy a Title=Middle and name=middle. 

4) Select Geometrixx Demo -> English as the Source for the live copy

5) Select Standard Rollout Config

6) Click Create.

Second part: Create the second level "leaf" Live Copy

1) Select the "global" folder and click the "New Live Copy" button

2) Give the Live copy a Title=Leaf and name=leaf

3) Select global -> Middle as the Source for the live copy

4) Select Standard Rollout Config

5) Click Create.

Third part: Rollout content down the live copy tree 

1) Make a change to any component of the Geometrixxx Demo->English->Products page

2) Select the component on the page and then select "Rollout selected components"

3) I'm presented with the list of "direct" Live copies which is at this moment the "middle" Live copy

4) Select the "middle" live copy as the target for the Rollout and click Rollout

5) Open both the "middle" live copy and the "leaf" live copy of the Products page

6) Noticed that only the "middle" live copy got updated

7) On the "middle" live copy of Products, try to start the Rollout from there, but the "Rollout page" button is disabled, so the inheritance only applies to the first level.

This were the exact steps followed, so please let me know If I´m missing something.

Cheers

It should work, attaching the demo.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

it is supported and let us know aem version & exact steps followed. 

Level 1

Hi Sham,

Thanks for your reply. The AEM version would be 6.0. Using the Classic UI the steps followed were:

6) Click Create.

5) Click Create.

1) Make a change to any component of the Geometrixxx Demo->English->Products page

2) Select the component on the page and then select "Rollout selected components"

3) I'm presented with the list of "direct" Live copies which is at this moment the "middle" Live copy

4) Select the "middle" live copy as the target for the Rollout and click Rollout

5) Open both the "middle" live copy and the "leaf" live copy of the Products page

7) On the "middle" live copy of Products, try to start the Rollout from there, but the "Rollout page" button is disabled, so the inheritance only applies to the first level.

This were the exact steps followed, so please let me know If I´m missing something.

Cheers

Correct answer by
Level 10

Luis Fernando Duarte wrote...

Hi Sham,

6) Click Create.

5) Click Create.

Cheers

It should work, attaching the demo.