Expand my Community achievements bar.

Mobile app in AEM 6.5

Level 1

Hi Team,

We have requirement where we need to build a mobile app using the current web content (build with RWD) using AEM 6.5 features provided by adobe.

This app should be installable and available on both play store and app store, having all the feature of a mobile app(like push notification etc).

All the documentations available are old and mentioned about using AEM mobile apps(/aem/apps.html/content/mobileapps). I could see AEM mobile apps is no longer supported.

Is there any way in developing mobile app using the existing web content and code available in AEM web application?

Note: We are not looking for any native app developer. We want to leverage the AEM 6.5 feature for building the app if there is any.

Thanks,

Vignesh

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @Vignesh-M2 

We are using Content Fragments and GraphQL approach to deliver content to mobile app, the same content is being used in website.

But if you don't have Content fragments created for your current web content, then you can leverage AEM Content Service APIs to expose the content and develop mobile app on your choice framework or technology.

I think, there are no OOTB support for mobile apps in AEM 6.5 from Adobe.

Level 1

Most of the documentation mentioned about integrating cordova or phonegap with aem for building the mobile app. Is this still supported in AEM 6.5? Can i use the same content and code and create a mobile app?

Community Advisor

Hi @Vignesh-M2 

Phonegap is already dead. You can refer official docs below

https://cordova.apache.org/announcements/2020/08/14/goodbye-phonegap.html

Same goes for Apache cordova, the future is not so bright.

Refer below article

https://medium.com/codex/the-sunset-of-apache-cordova-alternatives-for-cross-platform-mobile-develop....

So, I think this Adobe documentation link to develop Mobile apps is outdated and would not be recommended.

Hope it helps!!