Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Large number of Asset Data store

Level 2

Hi All,

In our project we have to manage large number of Assets so which Datastore is best to go with.

1: Mongo Datastore

2: File Data store

3: Amazon S3 Datastore

Any suggestion would be of great help. Thanks in Advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

First you should rule out the Mongo Datastore. Loading large binaries into Mongo doesn't perform very well and is neither recommended by Mongo nor by Adobe.

I would prefer S3 datastore but only if you are hosting at AWS.  The hardest choice is on-prem hosting, because there S3 can be not attractive due to high network latency or for policy reasons. In that case I would validate the setup first by doing a proof of concept and running performance tests of an S3-based setup vs a FileDataStore-setup.

Remember: In the FDS you need to care about backup and restore yourself. And this can be problematic if you deal with tens of terabytes of data and a lot of files.

Jörg

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

You can use either Mongo Datastore or Amazon S3 Datastore. It depends on DAM size and useable scalability of DAM

We have done POC for Amazon S3 Datastore one of our clients.

Amazon S3 Datastore connectors are avialable for 6.2 1.4x feature pack versions com.adobe.granite.oak.s3connector-1.4.x.zip

You can achive this with simple configs on segment store, nodestore ,datastore , aws service and S3 Bucket.

Here is very good doc for DataStore

Configuring node stores and data stores in AEM 6

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

First you should rule out the Mongo Datastore. Loading large binaries into Mongo doesn't perform very well and is neither recommended by Mongo nor by Adobe.

I would prefer S3 datastore but only if you are hosting at AWS.  The hardest choice is on-prem hosting, because there S3 can be not attractive due to high network latency or for policy reasons. In that case I would validate the setup first by doing a proof of concept and running performance tests of an S3-based setup vs a FileDataStore-setup.

Remember: In the FDS you need to care about backup and restore yourself. And this can be problematic if you deal with tens of terabytes of data and a lot of files.

Jörg

Level 2

Hi Jorg,

Thanks for your valuable input.

Level 2

Hi Member,

Thanks for your valuable input and document.