Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Java: How do I get the URL of a custom page thumbnail?

Level 8

TLDR: I need to get the URL of thumbnail I uploaded manually to page properties so I can use it in the page metadata.

example: <meta name="og:image" content="/content/mysite/my-page/jcr:content/my-custom-thumbnail-image-here.png>

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I upload an image to Page properties/Thumbnail, I can see that AEM creates these paths

• /content/mysite/mypage/jcr:content/image/file/jcr:content/dam:thumbnails/dam:thumbnail_300.png
  • /content/mysite/mypage/jcr:content/image/file/jcr:content/dam:thumbnails/dam:thumbnail_48.png

(Sometimes there's a thumbnail_319.png path as well but unsure what triggers its creation.)

I using javax.jcr classes, I can check for the existence of these nodes but is there more targeted (AEM-specific) class I can use?

There was an old discussion here that mentioned Social Media component + getThumbnail but I cannot find any instances of these combo. All I can find about getThumbnail is a "inbox" class (which I assume relates to emails)

-----------------------------------------------

This is how I uploaded the custom thumbnail in page properties

2024-01-02 14_48_43.jpg

this is the node structure after uploading the custom thumbnail.

2024-01-04 08_32_37.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @jayv25585659 

I don't know which version of AEM you are using, but for cloud I use the below line of code to fetch the featured image from page properties. 

Resource cqFeaturedRes = page.getContentResource().getChild(
                com.adobe.cq.wcm.core.components.models.Page.NN_PAGE_FEATURED_IMAGE);
String propertyValue = StringUtils.EMPTY;
        if (Objects.nonNull(cqFeaturedRes)) {
            final ValueMap valueMap = cqFeaturedRes.adaptTo(ValueMap.class);
            if (Objects.nonNull(valueMap) && valueMap.containsKey(DownloadResource.PN_REFERENCE)) {
                propertyValue = valueMap.get(DownloadResource.PN_REFERENCE, String.class);
            }
        }

This works untill your page is not null

Thanks

Veena ✌

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 6

To retrieve the URL of the thumbnail uploaded to page properties in AEM, you can use AEM's APIs to fetch the thumbnail's rendition path and generate the URL.

public String getThumbnailURL(Page page, ResourceResolver resourceResolver) {
        String thumbnailURL = "";

Asset thumbnailAsset = page.getContentResource().adaptTo(Asset.class);
        if (thumbnailAsset != null) {
            Rendition thumbnailRendition = thumbnailAsset.getRendition("cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png");
            if (thumbnailRendition != null) {
                thumbnailURL = thumbnailRendition.getPath();
            }
        }

return thumbnailURL;
    }

Level 8

I tried this code and asset is null. Any other ideas?

PageManager pageManager = resourceResolver.adaptTo(PageManager.class);

Page page = pageManager.getPage("/content/mysite/myfolder/what-we-offer");
Resource resource1 = page.getContentResource();

Asset asset = page.getContentResource().adaptTo(Asset.class);

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @jayv25585659 

I don't know which version of AEM you are using, but for cloud I use the below line of code to fetch the featured image from page properties. 

Resource cqFeaturedRes = page.getContentResource().getChild(
                com.adobe.cq.wcm.core.components.models.Page.NN_PAGE_FEATURED_IMAGE);
String propertyValue = StringUtils.EMPTY;
        if (Objects.nonNull(cqFeaturedRes)) {
            final ValueMap valueMap = cqFeaturedRes.adaptTo(ValueMap.class);
            if (Objects.nonNull(valueMap) && valueMap.containsKey(DownloadResource.PN_REFERENCE)) {
                propertyValue = valueMap.get(DownloadResource.PN_REFERENCE, String.class);
            }
        }

This works untill your page is not null

Thanks

Veena ✌

Level 2

Hi @jayv25585659 , I have done it with the following way-

private void getThumbnailImageRenditions(final ResourceResolver resourceResolver, String pagePath){
        Session session = this.resourceResolver.adaptTo(Session.class);
        //thumbnail stores as image node under page's jcr:content node
        Node node = session.getNode(pagePath+"/jcr:content/image");
        String assetpath = node.getProperty("fileReference").getString();
        AssetManager assetManager = this.resourceResolver.adaptTo(AssetManager.class);
        Asset asset = assetManager.getAsset(assetpath);
        // it's a iterator you can get all renditions of assets
        asset.listRenditions().next().getPath()
    }

Level 8

I'm on 6.4 and when I uploaded custom thumbnails on  3 pages, I cannot see "fileReference" property in the image node. any ideas? thanks

Administrator

@jayv25585659 Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni