Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Issue with RTE tables in multiple components

Level 4

We have an issue in AEM 6.3 authoring when using RTE tables in more than one component on the same page and editing the cell property of different component tables.

After changing the cell property of a table in one component, we are unable to change the cell property of another table in another component on the same page. The cell property context menu disappears as soon as it is clicked, before a selection can be made.

(The specific steps to re-create the problem is 1) create or work with content with two or more content components with tables in them. 2) Edit table one 3) Modify the cell properties of one of the table cells and save 4) Edit table two. The right-click-context menu will no longer work on the table cells.)

This seems to be due to a javascript process loop that happens when starting to modify the second table component. The loop closes the cell context menu before a selection can be made.

It looks like the loop starts with the manipulateSelection() method and ends with updateState() and isTableMode() methods in TablePlugin.js.

It also was happening in our older 5.6.3 instance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Working with Adobe, the issue is believed to be a bug with Adobe's code and with Windows 10 TouchUI. Windows 10 has some javascript running for TouchUI type things that is interfering with AEM's classic RTE code.

A work-around for Windows 10 Chrome users would be to go to chrome://flags/, find "Touch Events API" and disable it. When that is done and the TouchUI javascript isn't running, the problem no longer happens.

More information on the issue, including work-arounds for other browsers can be found at https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/release-notes/known-issues.html under "Hybrid Devices are not supported."

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Are you using separate RTE nodes in the dialog? Or are you trying to inherit from the same dialog and use them same RTE field in multiple places?

Level 4

If I understand your question correctly, I think we are using separate RTE nodes in the dialog.

We are using one "block text" component, with one dialog and RTE settings. That component is added to the page multiple times (in which I am making tables). Each component can be edited separately and simultaneously, so it is not one dialog used for all.

(And when I checked that both components could be opened simultaneously, I found that if I open both up and try doing anything with a table, it starts looping and the context menu won't stay open.)

Level 10

What is happening when you open one at a time - still issues?

Level 4

Yes, it happens when I open one at a time and do editing on the table. When I go to edit the 2nd table, it starts the looping and the context menu won't stay open.

It does make me wonder if, when opening the RTE table dialog and saving it, if somehow keeps part of it open, so when the 2nd dialog is opened, there's a conflict, and the multiple instances cause the looping.

Level 10

Does it work properly when only 1 is opened at a time. I have never seen this issue before.

Level 4

Yes, it happens when only one is opened at a time.

The loop does not necessarily happen every time - it depends what is done. Just as I can't list every combination that triggers the loop, I can't list every one that doesn't. But the sequence I listed about editing one table then editing another consistently makes it happen.

Correct answer by
Level 4

Working with Adobe, the issue is believed to be a bug with Adobe's code and with Windows 10 TouchUI. Windows 10 has some javascript running for TouchUI type things that is interfering with AEM's classic RTE code.

A work-around for Windows 10 Chrome users would be to go to chrome://flags/, find "Touch Events API" and disable it. When that is done and the TouchUI javascript isn't running, the problem no longer happens.

More information on the issue, including work-arounds for other browsers can be found at https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/release-notes/known-issues.html under "Hybrid Devices are not supported."