Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is there a way to configure dispatchers so that they do not cache pages that return with 500 error code, etc.

Level 7

Hi all,

Looks like at the moment, when a page in our publisher instance throws an exception and leads to a response with a 500 status code, the dispatcher in front of it caches the response and serves the 500 status code from then on.

So when the page is fixed and the exception is not thrown anymore, the dispatcher continues serving the 500 error code page.

Is there a way to configure the dispatcher to never cache 4xx and 5xx responses?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

The dispatcher only caches 200 responses. Do you perhaps have another HTTP caching layer involved?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

The dispatcher only caches 200 responses. Do you perhaps have another HTTP caching layer involved?

Level 7

Thanks. This behavior was due to a bug in one of our pages.

When I was getting a 500 response from the dispatcher, I logged in to the author, opened the page, and it was rendering fine. Then the dispatcher's 500 error was fixed too. So I assumed something should be wrong with the dispatcher for the initial 500 error.

Turns out opening the page in the publisher was working, because I had logged in as admin and viewing the page was saving something to CRX, which of course the admin had the privileges to do. This saving was done only on the first view of the page.

But when the page was accessed through the dispatcher by an anonymous user, the save was failing.

tl;dr: the issue was not due to the dispatcher caching 500 responses.