Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is .psd files are allowed in AEM 6.5?

Level 2

Trying to render a .psd asset using custom image component but it is not working.

Below are properties which I am using for asset upload, a broken asset is appearing on page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jcr:root xmlns:sling="http://sling.apache.org/jcr/sling/1.0" xmlns:granite="http://www.adobe.com/jcr/granite/1.0" xmlns:cq="http://www.day.com/jcr/cq/1.0" xmlns:jcr="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0"
granite:class="authored-image-cc"
jcr:primaryType="cq:Widget"
sling:resourceType="granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/form/pathbrowser"
fieldDescription="Upload Asset"
fieldLabel="Asset"
name="./imgPath"
required="{Boolean}true"
rootPath="/content/dam"
useHTML5="{Boolean}true"/>

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @GiriBabu!

While AEM Assets does support PSD files and various other formats, this only applies to managing these assets inside of AEM. Content authors and creators can upload PSD files to AEM, they can run through workflows (e. g. for review or approval), can be shared with other people, you can annotate them or provide them to different output channels.

From your post, I understand that you are trying to deliver PSD files directly to your website visitors as part of your website.

For this use case, there are two options:

• If you want to share the actual PSD file, you can handle them as downloads. Website visitors can then download the files to their computers and open them with an application that supports the format, such as Adobe Photoshop.
  • If you want the PSD to be displayed as an image as part of you website, you need to convert it. As far as I know, none of the common browsers (such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) do provide native support to display PSD files. So you need to convert the PSD to a format that browsers are capable to display, such as JPG, PNG, TIF or similar.

My understanding is that you want to achieve the latter.

There are different options for this. You could leverage Dynamic Media for asset delivery. Dynamic Media is capable to convert to and deliver various asset formats based on an input file in PSD format on-the-fly. Another option could be a conversion step as part of the Asset Workflow in AEM or Asset Compute microservices in AEM CS. It might be helpful to check out the Photoshop API depending on your specific requirements. For simple use cases, you can leverage ImageMagick as mentioned by @sherinregi as it is usually already part of the ootb DAM Asset Update workflow.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 4

Even if Adobe supports PSDs in Assets, I don't think a web browser is going to natively support rendering a PSD. I recommend looking at the `src` attribute of the underlying image element and trying to open that in the browser directly and see what happens. Might force a download.

Level 8

Hi @GiriBabu 

As per my understanding there is no issue with uploading a PSD image.  Few things to check here. See image renditions are created under the renditions folder .It will be in image formats and try to render the same and see if that works.  

When the PSD images are uploaded it creates multiple layers and same can been seen under metadata. So it may not be directly consumable. 

Also check the below link for reference

https://legacy.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=35720

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @GiriBabu!

While AEM Assets does support PSD files and various other formats, this only applies to managing these assets inside of AEM. Content authors and creators can upload PSD files to AEM, they can run through workflows (e. g. for review or approval), can be shared with other people, you can annotate them or provide them to different output channels.

From your post, I understand that you are trying to deliver PSD files directly to your website visitors as part of your website.

For this use case, there are two options:

• If you want to share the actual PSD file, you can handle them as downloads. Website visitors can then download the files to their computers and open them with an application that supports the format, such as Adobe Photoshop.
  • If you want the PSD to be displayed as an image as part of you website, you need to convert it. As far as I know, none of the common browsers (such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) do provide native support to display PSD files. So you need to convert the PSD to a format that browsers are capable to display, such as JPG, PNG, TIF or similar.

My understanding is that you want to achieve the latter.

There are different options for this. You could leverage Dynamic Media for asset delivery. Dynamic Media is capable to convert to and deliver various asset formats based on an input file in PSD format on-the-fly. Another option could be a conversion step as part of the Asset Workflow in AEM or Asset Compute microservices in AEM CS. It might be helpful to check out the Photoshop API depending on your specific requirements. For simple use cases, you can leverage ImageMagick as mentioned by @sherinregi as it is usually already part of the ootb DAM Asset Update workflow.

Hope that helps!

Level 2

Thanks @markus_bulla_adobe, found that below are properties which we should be using to display .psd images on page.

jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
sling:resourceType="cq/gui/components/authoring/dialog/fileupload"
allowUpload="{Boolean}false"
autoStart="{Boolean}false"
class="cq-droptarget"
fieldLabel="Image Asset"
fileNameParameter="./fileName"
fileReferenceParameter="./imageReference"
mimeTypes="[image/gif,image/jpeg,image/png,image/tiff,image/psd,image/vnd.adobe.photoshop]"
multiple="{Boolean}false"
name="./file"
title="Upload Image Asset"
uploadUrl="${suffix.path}"
useHTML5="{Boolean}true"

Administrator

@GiriBabu Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni