Expand my Community achievements bar.

How workflows works on publish instances

Level 2

Hi Need some suggestions on below use case:

End user access a public page, change some preferences on that page(to personalize the content). But before those changes appear to that user , an email notification triggers to the concerned approver(may be Business author). Once the approver approves it, then only that end user must be able to see those changes on that page as per the preferences he had chosen.

How this workflow should be created and work?

Can anyone share the steps how to achieve it?

Many Thanks in advance!!

5 Replies

Level 2

Thanks Kautuk for quick response.

Actually, what I am concern about here is....Our workflow will start on publish instance whenever an end user changes preferences on a page. An email notification goes to approver (I understand to achieve this we need to implement custom participant step workflow).

But approver will approve the changes on author(I guess), so notification will come to his author inbox right??

Once he approves it, workflow completed on publish instance and user will be able to see his changes on page then.

So my question is..how this workflow will work via publish->author and then author->publish . Do we need to write 2 workflows....on author/publish both?

Level 10

All workflows should be done as much as possible on Author - when the changes are approved - then activate the page so it appears on PUB.

Level 10

I checked with the AEM Eng team that stated:

Workflows on publish tend to be an unusual situation.  I think forums might have had a few, but we almost never see customers doing that. 

Level 10

Also for those reading this thread and want to know more about workflows - watch this ATCE on this subject -- Scott's Digital Community: Ask the AEM Community Experts for Feb 2018 (an excellent session done by one of our AEM Community experts)