Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to get the Disk Space Utilization for a particular path

Former Community Member

Hi All,

Is there any way in CQ to get the Disk Space Utilization  for a particular path?.

Say for example we want to know how much will be the size of this path /content/dam/test1/subpath.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Be aware of the fact, that the number of the disk usage report isn't accurate. It just calculates on the size of properties, but the repository has some overhead, especially in terms of the fulltext index. On the other hand, the datastore deduplicates large binaries (on a binary level), so the disk usage report will account each occurrence of the binary individually, while on the filesystem it's there only once.

But it can give you a rogugh estimate where in your content the disk space is spent.

Jörg

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 1

Since this can not be derived from the filesystem, did you try the diskusage reporting tool? (From Tools > Reports > Disk Usage)

e.g. http://localhost:4502/etc/reports/diskusage.html?path=/content/dam/test1/subpath

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Be aware of the fact, that the number of the disk usage report isn't accurate. It just calculates on the size of properties, but the repository has some overhead, especially in terms of the fulltext index. On the other hand, the datastore deduplicates large binaries (on a binary level), so the disk usage report will account each occurrence of the binary individually, while on the filesystem it's there only once.

But it can give you a rogugh estimate where in your content the disk space is spent.

Jörg

Former Community Member

Hi Jorg/Bernd,

Thanks for your replies.

Disk usage report is not giving the accurate information of the actual utilized disk space.

Currently i am getting this information by building a package for that path through the package manager.

Is there any other way to get this information?.

Thanks,

Employee Advisor

Why do you need accurate information about the disk consumption of a certain subtree?

Former Community Member

Hi Jorg,

Recently adobe suggested us to NOT install any DAM package which is more than 512MB in size. So as per the recommendation we are installing DAM packages which are less than 512MB in size. So need a way to sort the subtree based on size.

Thanks,

Employee Advisor

Oh well ... :-) These 512M aren't a hard limit. Of course larger packages might work as well, depending on a number of factors (most notably the size of your DAM assets in the package). For this case the diskusage tool should be ok.

Another question: Why do you transfer assets via packages between CQ instances?

Cheers,
Jörg

Level 1

512M hard or softlimit? ahmedkbn, did Adobe also tell you why they suggest such small DAM packages?

We use packages that are up to 8G large. I guess, the only limitation here is the JVM heap size. Or, if you install the package on server startup, even the heap doesn't matter then.

@Jörg: why shouldn't I use packages to transfer (a huge amount of) assets? We've come up with a set of Jenkins jobs that can create and copy packages from any stage to any stage easily. Even if those can become quite huge. I assume, you suggest the usage of FileVault (vlt) instead.

Former Community Member

Hi Bernd,

They suggested us to install the content packages in smaller chunk size (200-500mb) to avoid high memory utilization. In CQ context, there may be some creation of temp files needed and a huge content package may not be ideal.

I am not clear about what do you mean by Soft limit or hard limit, Can you clarify?