Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to find out what all classes are involved in an operation

Former Community Member

Hello Experts !

I have a very basic question and need help for that. In our day to day exploration we generally tries to find out what all files are involved in any particular operation (for the purpose of customization). Such as i wanted to find out what is the control flow for an operation (request goes from which JS to JSP to CLASS). What is the best way to do it.

Lets say i need to find out where all control flows when we try to upload an asset from DAM before "DAM Update Asset Workflow" gets called.

I know, we have damfileupload.js which create dialog for upload and then create upload servlet comes into picture. But how to find the flow and all files.

Regards !

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Couple of things which I can think of is,

1. Debugging - You can debug the code using the debug point in IDE and try to get the flow with the code.

Use the browser tools like Firebug to debug the flow of JS

Basically, using debugging we can get the flow of the files used

2. Manually, we can look at the code and try to build the chain with it.

3. If you are using AEM 6, in the touchUI, click the 3rd icon on the top left corner, click on developer icon. This lists all the components used in the page and it also gives the details of JSP, JS for each of these component

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

Look at this AEM Ask the Experts webinar. It talks about ways in which you can dig into AEM logic flow...

Ask the Adobe Expert Session October: Testing AEM Applications with ease
posted by Community Admin 5 months ago
Please join Scott MacDonald, host of the "Ask the Community Expert" sessions and David Catalan for this session. David will demonstrate the new AEM Testing tool for testing AEM applications. You will learn how to use the new tool, you and new ways to improve your AEM applications and get rid of potential bugs. Hope you will RSVP for this exciting event.

https://communities.adobe.com/en/communities/aem_technologistsdevelopersarchitects/resources.html

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Couple of things which I can think of is,

1. Debugging - You can debug the code using the debug point in IDE and try to get the flow with the code.

Use the browser tools like Firebug to debug the flow of JS

Basically, using debugging we can get the flow of the files used

2. Manually, we can look at the code and try to build the chain with it.

3. If you are using AEM 6, in the touchUI, click the 3rd icon on the top left corner, click on developer icon. This lists all the components used in the page and it also gives the details of JSP, JS for each of these component

Employee Advisor

Hi,

that's a very hard question, as like in a all framework driven applications a lot of code can be involved. And the dependencies are not always made explicit. I agree to @bsloki that debugging can help you a lot.

If you are interested in the request handling, the sling cheat sheet [1] gives you some basic understanding how the request processing is done inside sling. When you want to understand how the workflow engine works internally, you reached the area of the Adobe proprietary code.

kind regards,
Jörg

[1] http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/develop/platform/sling-cheatsheet.html