Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

How to configure Dynamic Media Video Thumbnail

Level 2

Hi,

I need help with Dynamic Media Video Thumbnail configuration.

So far what I've done:

1. Established connection on the cloud services -> Dynamic Media Configuration.

2. I saw a video where it stated that Dynamic Media should be enabled on CRX at this location /etc/dam/dynamicmediaconfig which I have already set the value to true.

Still after I upload my video in a folder, I can't click the thumbnail button and it seems like Dynamic Media is not generating the thumbnails at all. Can someone help or point out what else am I missing. 

Thank you in advance!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi @gkalyan, this is one of the videos I've watched. On the first video, he can click on the thumbnails but on my end I can't. He didn't explain to much on the configuration side anyways. Btw this only happens for video. The Dynamic media for my images are perfectly fine and can fetch it even on the scene7 server. 

Level 10

Hi @zmdeluyas ,

To configure Dynamic Media Video Thumbnail in AEM, you need to ensure that you have completed the following steps:

1. **Enable Dynamic Media**: Make sure that Dynamic Media is enabled in your AEM instance. You can check this by verifying that the value of the property `enable` under `/etc/dam/dynamicmediaconfig` is set to `true`.

2. **Configure Dynamic Media Cloud Services**: Connect your AEM instance to Dynamic Media Cloud Services. This involves setting up the connection to your Dynamic Media account and configuring the necessary credentials. You can do this by following the documentation provided by Adobe.

3. **Upload Video**: Upload the video file to AEM. Make sure that the video is uploaded to a folder that is configured for Dynamic Media processing. By default, this is the `/content/dam` folder.

4. **Generate Thumbnails**: After uploading the video, AEM should automatically generate the thumbnails for the video. This process may take some time depending on the size and complexity of the video. You can monitor the progress of thumbnail generation in the AEM logs.

5. **View Thumbnails**: Once the thumbnails are generated, you should be able to view and select the thumbnail for the video. To do this, navigate to the video in AEM and click on the "Thumbnail" button. This will display a dialog where you can select the desired thumbnail.

If you have followed these steps and are still unable to generate or view the thumbnails, there may be an issue with your Dynamic Media configuration or setup. In that case, I recommend checking the AEM logs for any error messages related to Dynamic Media or reaching out to Adobe Support for further assistance.

Level 2

Hi @HrishikeshKa, thank you for your answer. I can confirm that, I have done the steps 1-4 already. Whenever I click the thumbnail from the properties, there's an error on the logs regarding the processing of thumbnail which I forgot to mention in my post. Do you have any Idea how to fix this? 

Caused by: org.apache.sling.api.SlingException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /libs/granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/form/form.jsp at line 302 : An exception occurred processing JSP page /libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/customthumb/newtabs/newtabs.jsp at line 183 : An exception occurred processing JSP page /libs/granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/container/container.jsp at line 84 : An exception occurred processing JSP page /libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/customthumb/videoplayer/videoplayer.jsp at line 40 : java.lang.NullPointerException

Level 10

Hi @zmdeluyas ,

The error message you provided indicates that there is a `NullPointerException` occurring in the JSP pages related to the processing of thumbnails. This error typically occurs when there is a null value being accessed or used incorrectly in the code.

To troubleshoot and fix this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. **Check the logs**: Review the AEM logs for any additional error messages or stack traces that may provide more information about the cause of the `NullPointerException`. Look for any specific details or variables that are null or causing the issue.

2. **Review the code**: Examine the JSP pages mentioned in the error message (`form.jsp`, `newtabs.jsp`, `container.jsp`, `videoplayer.jsp`) and locate the lines mentioned in the error message (line 302 in `form.jsp`, line 183 in `newtabs.jsp`, line 84 in `container.jsp`, line 40 in `videoplayer.jsp`). Analyze the code at those lines and check for any potential null values or incorrect usage of variables.

3. **Check the configuration**: Ensure that the Dynamic Media configuration in AEM is correctly set up and that all necessary credentials and connections to the Dynamic Media Cloud Services are properly configured. Double-check the configuration files and settings to make sure there are no missing or incorrect values.

4. **Clear the AEM cache**: Clear the AEM cache to ensure that any cached data or configurations are refreshed. This can be done through the AEM Web Console or by manually deleting the cache files.

5. **Contact Adobe Support**: If the issue persists and you are unable to identify and fix the problem, it is recommended to reach out to Adobe Support for further assistance. Provide them with the error message, relevant logs, and any other details that may help them troubleshoot the issue more effectively.

Please note that without access to the specific code and configuration, it is difficult to provide a precise solution. The steps mentioned above are general troubleshooting steps that can help identify and resolve common issues related to `NullPointerExceptions` in AEM.

Administrator

@zmdeluyas Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you've discovered a solution yourself, we would appreciate it if you could share it with the community. Thank you!

Kautuk Sahni