Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How much of <cq:includeClientLib js="cq.jquery" /> is necessary for user-facing site?

Level 2

Hi,

We are including the <cq:includeClientLib js="cq.jquery" /> ClientLibrary in the <head> of our website and (it appears) to be rendering as below in the HTML source:

<!-- in typical AEM setup, is jquery-ui required on Author and/or website? --> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/etc/clientlibs/granite/jquery-ui.css" type="text/css"><link rel="stylesheet" href="/etc/clientlibs/foundation/jquery-ui/themes/default.css" type="text/css"><!-- /granite/jquery.js is fine to include on website --> <script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/granite/jquery.js"></script><!-- in typical AEM setup, are any of the below files required in Author and/or website? --><script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/granite/utils.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/granite/jquery/granite.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/foundation/jquery.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/granite/jquery-ui.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/etc/clientlibs/foundation/jquery-ui.js"></script>

I'm trying to work out if any/all of the above files are really necessary for a user-facing website, or if in fact most are just required for the Author side of AEM. I am hoping somebody can advise, even based on a typical AEM setup, whether the cq.jquery ClientLibrary is usually needed on a user-facing site.
Based on my investigations so far it appears that the vast majority of the files are not needed for our website (apart from /granite/jquery.js). I have noticed that for example, there is a /granite/jquery-ui.js file and a /foundation/jquery-ui.js file - I am wondering if both or any are needed or if they are supposed to only be used in the Author environment.

Hope the above makes sense - I know every website is different but any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance

Theo

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yes Theo - All JS and CSS files in cq.jquery are required only on Author side.

~ Ratna.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

If you only want a specific version of JQuery - you can create your own client lib: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/integrating-jquery-framework-cq.html

You are correct in that most of the Granite APIs are used for touch ui on author side - not part of your site that is rendered on Publish. 

Level 2

Thanks for your quick reply! So, just to confirm, all JS and CSS files in cq.jquery (apart from /granite/jquery.js) are only required for Author?

Thanks

Theo

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yes Theo - All JS and CSS files in cq.jquery are required only on Author side.

~ Ratna.

Level 2

Hi,

I have one more question regarding this - do I need to explicitly call the cq.jquery files to be used on Author or are they just built into AEM anyway? For example I could use an if statement to detect Edit or Design mode. Is this necessary?

Thanks

Theo