Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

How do I create a non-workflow user inbox notification?

Level 1

Im trying to have a workflow process create a notification in the user inbox to link to updated pages.

According to past answers I have found that people would use an interface called InboxManager. Unfortunately upon investigating I cant really find it in uber-jar. Has it been removed? I can find it in old <AEM6.0 jars but it wouldn't be compatible i reckon. I hope someone can shed some light on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

you can create a new node for task type in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task

and define url or inboxUrl property of the node to desired page you want user to be redirected when clicked,

now you can create a task with taskType=<name of node you created above> , this task notification will be visible in Inbox and user will be redirected to your url you have defined.

for example if node "damPage" is defined in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task with inboxUrl or url set to /asset.html/content/dam , then a new task will appear in Notification inbox as link to Assets page.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

If you want to send messages to a non-workflow user - i would look at creating a custom workflow step that send email messages. This way, you can construct the message with Java code and send the message to a user. See this article:

Scott's Digital Community: Creating custom AEM workflow steps that send email messages

Level 1

Thanks for the response!

I have actually already created a workflow process that sends the emails but I also want the user to have a notification in site. Is there any way to do that using the OOTB notifications panel?

Correct answer by
Employee

you can create a new node for task type in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task

and define url or inboxUrl property of the node to desired page you want user to be redirected when clicked,

now you can create a task with taskType=<name of node you created above> , this task notification will be visible in Inbox and user will be redirected to your url you have defined.

for example if node "damPage" is defined in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task with inboxUrl or url set to /asset.html/content/dam , then a new task will appear in Notification inbox as link to Assets page.