Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How Can I Customize AEM Components with Sling Resource Merging without Altering Core Functionality?

Level 2

Hi All,

How Can I Effortlessly Customize AEM Components Without Altering Core Functionality?"

I'v read the concept of customizing AEM components without diving into the core /libs and potentially causing compatibility issues. I've heard about a technique called Sling Resource Merging, but I'd love to learn more.

Can someone share some light on how Sling Resource Merging works and how its properties can be leveraged for seamless AEM component customization? Any practical examples or best practices would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AEM_rookie 

It just means, do not overlay the components. Rather extend the components using sling:resourceSuperType.

By extend, you can use both the original and the extended versions of component in the application.

Difference between overlay and extend is explained at overlay/overriding v/s extending of components in AEM - Stack Overflow

An example about how to extend: Extend a Core Component | Getting Started with the AEM SPA Editor and React | Adobe Experience Manag...

Aanchal Sikka

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AEM_rookie 

It just means, do not overlay the components. Rather extend the components using sling:resourceSuperType.

By extend, you can use both the original and the extended versions of component in the application.

Difference between overlay and extend is explained at overlay/overriding v/s extending of components in AEM - Stack Overflow

An example about how to extend: Extend a Core Component | Getting Started with the AEM SPA Editor and React | Adobe Experience Manag...

Aanchal Sikka