Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

High-resolution thumbnail images

Employee Advisor

Hi ,

As we know that,DAM allows to create renditions of an image that includes thumbnails or smaller views of large, high-resolution images.

In our project we are using following rendition- /content/dam/someimage.jpg.thumb.319.319.png in the content of the website. But, I have noticed original images with following resolutions (1124 * 1698), (2222 * 3772) are generating high quality thumbnails under rendition. 

So, I have following query based on that analysis -

Does AEM supports any specific set of resolutions of the original image to produce high quality thumbnails?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Debal

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

what do you mean with "high quality thumbnails"? Are you referring to the size of the renditions which are generated?

(You can specifiy the generated renditions in the DAM Update Asset workflow, step "thumbnail generation", tab "process" in the "arguments" box.)

kind regards,
Jörg

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

what do you mean with "high quality thumbnails"? Are you referring to the size of the renditions which are generated?

(You can specifiy the generated renditions in the DAM Update Asset workflow, step "thumbnail generation", tab "process" in the "arguments" box.)

kind regards,
Jörg

Employee Advisor

Hi ,

Thanks for the update. 

Below I have described the issue details -

1. We are uploading the images with following resolutions using dam admin -

(3543*1890),(3550*1886) ,(3519*1895) ,(2650*4016 ),(1119*1698) ,(1175*1884) ,(3445*1883) ,(3445*1886),(1125*1690) ,(3250*1887) and (4178*1890) 

2. Displaying on webpages its taking each rendition images form /content/dam/someimage1.jpg.thumb.319.319.png, /content/dam/someimage2.jpg.thumb.319.319.png and so on.

3. I have found out that original images with aspect ration <=1 are producing clear images compares to the original images with aspect ration > 1 using     rendition on pages.

As per the clients requirement we need to provide the solution so, that clear images should get rendered on pages. Please suggest

(As per our service level agreement wcan't make any changes in DAM Update Asset workflow level.)

Thanks & Regards,

Debal

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Ok, so you upload images in high resolution to the DAM. But on the webpages you are only using the 319x319 renditions; but some of these renditions have a rather poor quality (depending on the aspect ratio). And you need to provide these 319x319 renditions in high quality for all kind of aspect ratios.

Is that correct?

Jörg

Employee Advisor

HI,

ok, I guess I understand now. The scaling of the assets is done in Java (IIRC using Java AWT classes). These classes don't have the same capabilities as a professional image editing tool like Photoshop, so on scaling the resulting quality can be lower than the quality you can achieve when you use Photoshop to scale.

If you are really concened about this, my advice would be to scale the images in Photoshop and upload them in the correct renditions to AEM. Then you can always the original rendition and you don't have to rely on the renditions generated by the system. Would that be possible?

kind regards,
Jörg

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Yes, you are correct. But, I am not aware about the relation between aspect ratio and 319x319 renditions (or any renditions).

I have raised this concern when I have noticed different resolutions (W*H) and then I calculated the aspect ratio.

Please correct me , If I am missed anything.

Thanks,

Debal