Expand my Community achievements bar.

GraphQL Variable Type Mismatch in AEM Persistent Queries

Level 1

Hello everyone ! 

I'm facing a problem with AEM persistent queries and the variables used in those. The problem is that i use a variable in a filter that look like this :

filter: {
        brand: {
          _logOp: OR,
          _expressions: $brands
        }
    }

The variables brands is declared as "[StringFilterExpression]!".

So now if a want to use my persistent query, i use Postman and i do a POST request on :

publish-[...].adobeaemcloud.com/graphql/execute.json/id/getByBrands

and i send this in the body (in application/json)  : 

{
  "variables": {
    "brands": [{"value": "mybrand"}]
  }
}

But I get this response from AEM : 

"message": "Variable 'brands' has an invalid value: Variable 'brands' has coerced Null value for NonNull type '[StringFilterExpression]!'"

I already tried with other variables types, like a variable for the limit property, where i set a variable $limit as "Int" and when i send (for example) : 

{
  "variables": {
    "limit": 1
  }
}

There is no problem and the variable is understood.

And if i do a GET request using : 

publish-[...].adobeaemcloud.com/graphql/execute.json/id/getByBrands;brands=[%7B"value":%20"test"%7D]

I get this error

"message": "Variable 'brands' has an invalid value: Expected type 'Map' but was 'String'. Variables for input objects must be an instance of type 'Map'."

And same here with a variable $limit as "Int" i have no problems. 

I don't understand why ? Also when i'm using the GraphiQL Explorer in the AEM Backoffice i have no problem, i can pass my variable brands without error like that : 

emilux_0-1706460050776.png

Does anyone have a solution to this problem and could share it with me?

Thank you!

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @emilux 

For POSTMAN below is the way to create the query:

Shailesh_Bassi__1-1706503850192.png

You can even pass the query variable by appending query paramters in the query e.g

/graphql/execute.json/<project-name>/<query>;queryParam1=queraqueryParam1_value;queryParam2=queraqueryParam2_value;

or you can even create the object for the query params similar to the one show in the examples of the react app/nextjs app.

https://github.com/adobe/aem-guides-wknd-graphql/blob/main/react-app/src/api/usePersistedQueries.js

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Level 1

Hello @Shailesh_Bassi_ and thank you for your reply.

The examples that you share here work very with simple string or number variables. For example with that : 

emilux_0-1706517496183.png

here my GraphQL query is waiting for $limit to be an ID! and $path to be a String!, with that everything work.

But in my case i have also "$brands" a variable of type : [StringFilterExpression]! and if i send that :

emilux_1-1706517648906.png

it's working in the GraphiQL Explorer in AEM but not from postman or cURL or anything outside the GraphiQL Explorer. i have this error :

"message": "Variable 'brands' has an invalid value: Variable 'brands' has coerced Null value for NonNull type '[StringFilterExpression]!'"

It's look like the brands variable is empty for the API.