Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Generate XML using Sightly

Level 2

Hi,

I would like to use Sightly to generate XML and properly XML escape the text. So what I would like to do is

<myTag>${properties.text @context='xml'}</myTag>

but this does not seem to be possible.

I have seen that in Sightly one has access to some Java backed objects like 'xssAPI'. So now I would like to use the method xssAPI.encodeForXML but I do not see how I could call this method in Sightly.

Any help how to do xml escaping in sightly is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronald

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

hi ronald,

thanks for your feedback.

I raised the following issue for the XML-support: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-4260

Furthermore I know that it is on the roadmap to be able to call methods with parameters within Sightly.

Here an example how you can solve this via Javascript and Sightly:

<myTag data-sly-call="${ xmlEncode @ valueToEncode = 'yourValue'}"></myTag> <template data-sly-template.xmlEncode="${ @ valueToEncode}"> <div data-sly-unwrap data-sly-use.encode="${ 'xmlEncoding.js' @ xssApi = xssApi, valueToEncode=valueToEncode}">${encode.encodedValue}</div> </template>

Javascript-file:

"use strict"; use( function () { return { encodedValue: this.xssApi.encodeForXML(this.valueToEncode) }; });

best,
Feike

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

Hi ronald,

You can only use the following options for context: http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/develop/sightly.html#Display Context

In your case you need to create a Java-class that will call the xssApi, and use this via the Use-api (data-sly-use).

best,
Feike

Level 2

Hi Feike,

thanks for your reply. That is what I feared and makes me want to use JSP.

I basically want to create an XML view of all of my components so as far as I can see I would need to create a Java class for each and every one of them just to XML encode the output.

I think it would be great if

a) One could create ones own display contexts to be used in Sightly

b) One could call methods in Sightly expressions

I do not quite understand why in the Sightly documentation "xssAPI" is mentioned as a standard Java backed objects as I do not see how it could ever be used in a Sightly template.

Thanks again and all the best,

Ronald

Employee

hi ronald,

I will raise internally the point that we have to support @ context='xml'.

Still you don't have to write a java class for every component.

Via data-sly-template you can just use one Java-class that is then used in multiple components/templates.

best,
feike

Level 2

Hi Feike,

thanks for your feedback. I see that I could write a single Java class and re-use it for every component. I just think that it will grow and get unwieldy pretty fast.

At the end of the day I really think that Sightly should support the execution of methods in expressions - same as JSP does.

All the best,

Ronald

Correct answer by
Employee

hi ronald,

thanks for your feedback.

I raised the following issue for the XML-support: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-4260

Furthermore I know that it is on the roadmap to be able to call methods with parameters within Sightly.

Here an example how you can solve this via Javascript and Sightly:

<myTag data-sly-call="${ xmlEncode @ valueToEncode = 'yourValue'}"></myTag> <template data-sly-template.xmlEncode="${ @ valueToEncode}"> <div data-sly-unwrap data-sly-use.encode="${ 'xmlEncoding.js' @ xssApi = xssApi, valueToEncode=valueToEncode}">${encode.encodedValue}</div> </template>

Javascript-file:

"use strict"; use( function () { return { encodedValue: this.xssApi.encodeForXML(this.valueToEncode) }; });

best,
Feike

Level 2

Hi Feike,

thanks for raising the issue and for your suggested work around. I appreciate it.

All the best,

Ronald