Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

format changes when I use text flow to create flexible forms

Level 2

First off, I hope I`m making sense in english:

I am using Adobe Experience Manager (Designer) to create forms. I want a textfield to expand when the text turns out to be longer than expected. Everything coming after that textbox is supposed to move down. I made that work in theory using "Teilformulare" or partial forms (I don't know if that is the correct translation). But the moment I change the setting from position to text flow, which will then allow the change in the pdf, everything jumps to the left and up. How can I keep my format and still be able to have the text-box expand with the entire form. I don't want the scroll funktion, because then I can save but not properly print the data. I've used several partial froms and some of the format within those partial forms stays in tact. However, all indidviual partial forms make that jump in the end.

Is there a different way to make the form expand or is there a way to keep my format using this method?

Best,

Nina

13 Replies

Community Advisor

Use the flow layout for the Main page and for the subform if any are used in the form.

Also, make the field expand to fit and make it multiline from the field property. 

Level 2

But there lies the problem. The moment I change the layout from position to text flow, everything jumps left and up.

I did set it to field expand to fit and I did make it multiline in the property field.

Community Advisor

Yes, it will jump because you have made others as positioned. So make other flow as well. It will be good for future changes, if you need to add/delete any fields in the future then the flow layout is best, it adjusts the form itself. 

Level 2

Yes, others are marked as positioned. I have to do that, because if I change those to flow, the same happens and my format is shot within the subfroms too. If I keep them positioned, the format within those subforms stays the same, but the whole supform jumps with the rest of the subforms, killing the overall format.

Community Advisor

Yes, that's the case with the positioned layout. You can do one thing if you do not want to change every subform to a flow layout, then let it be positioned and wrap them under a subform with a flowable layout.

Level 2

I did that, and the format stays the same. However, in that case the function that I wanted to achieve, namely that the textbox expands AND the rest of the form flows down, will not work. The textbox will expand, but it then covers what lies below. It will only slide down if I change the page setting to text flow, in which case my formatting is shot. There must be a way to achieve both?!

Community Advisor

Have you made the Main page flowable and allowed pagebreak in all flowable subforms and on the main page?

If it still doesn't work, share your form. I'll look into it.

Level 2

Yes, I have.

FYI, I have deleted the text in the pdf, because I am not allowed to share the content. But that should not change anything else.

Community Advisor

pic2.JPG

See the images of how I changed the highlighted to flowed and wrapped the positioned subform inside the flowable subform and it worked.

pic1.JPG

Level 2

I can see that and that's what I had before. However, everything has shifted to the left. It is no longer in the middle position, the margins to the left and right should be the same.

Community Advisor

You can give left, right, top, and bottom margins in the subforms as per your need.

Administrator

@Fengare Did you find the suggestions from Vijay helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

The problem is not really solved. I am currently not sure if there actually is a solution for what I want.

Also, I know some of the stuff mentioned works in theory, but for whatever reason, it works on one document but not on others. For example, I managed it once that the text block will expand and everything will shift down, but since then it never worked again although I followed the instructions. I am baffled.