Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Error: Could not start workflow - In Publisher Instace

Level 4

Hi All,

We have implemented a custom workflow step (Process Step) by implementing WorkflowProcess and overriding the execute method with our functionality.

We created a work flow model and added the above created process step. When we run/start the work flow model, by selecting the payload path, it is successfully running in Author instance.

But in Publisher instance, when we try to run/start the workflow model, we are getting Error: Could not start workflow error. And we are not seeing any obvious errors in publisher logs.

We also observed, even other built-in workflows we are not able to run/start in publisher instance.

Is there any specific config or access levels we have to change to run the workflow models in publisher instance ?

Thanks in advance, looking for immediate help!

Regards

Sreeni

11 Replies

Level 7

Hi Sreeni,

You must have covered this already, have you checked if the workflows are not disabled for your publish instance?

Thanks

Tuhin

Level 4

Thanks Tuhin! It is active.

And also we observed, an access level difference in author and publisher on /etc/workflow as shown below

Author:

Publisher:

We tried changing the access level in publisher similar to author, but still not able to run the workflow.

Regards

Sreeni

Level 4

And also, when we tried to change the permissions on publisher instance to give users necessary permissions on the workflow model like it is in author instance, when I save it, everything gets reverted back to the original state.

We are also not able to run/start the built-in AEM workflows( like DAM Update Asset, etc..) in publisher instance

Are workflows not supposed to be run on publish instance ?

Level 10

Most Workflows are executed on Author as they are for reviewing content, uploading DAM content, etc. On Pub - content should have been subject to workflows already  - like a page that was approved via a workflow. 

I am confirming with the Eng team to see if there are any use cases for a PUB instance. 

Level 4
Thank you Smacdonald!
But aren't the built-in workflows, in the workflow console in publish instance, supposed to work if we try to execute them? (right click on model-->start-->Select Payload-->OK-->OK)
Because currently they're not.  I amgetting the message 'Could not start workflow' on all of them..even the out of the box ones.

Regards

Sreeni

Level 9

As said by you ,when you are selecting the model and then giving payload ,workflow is starting and in other case it's throwing error.

At the both the instances are you using same user account?

Problem could be the user who creating the session to run workflow.

Below link might help you ,please check it.

http://therealcq.blogspot.in/2013/03/gotchya-cq5aem-could-not-start-workflow.html

Level 4

Thanks Kishore!

Yes, the same workflow, we are able to start/run in author, but not able to run/start in publisher. We logged in as admin in both instances to run the workflow.

Regards

Sreeni

Level 9

Hi Sreeni,

Not pretty sure. Just a thought.

May be creating a custom log file and setting to log level to debug might give some more inputs to proceed further.

Level 9

As said by askdctm ,please create custom log with DEBUG mode if not tried this option.

And also if you share the Process implementation class then we can check and help any.

Thanks,

Kishore

Level 2

Please check the permission on the workflow node (/etc/workflow), or try logging in as admin, It should work usually in publish instance as well.

Level 1

I had the same problem, so here are the steps I followed and it resolved the issue: 

1. Log into AEM as an Admin

2. Go to Users

3. Select the Groups/Users to which you want give permission to execute workflows.

4. Go to Permission tab.

5. Go to etc/workflows give them modify, create and delete permission. 

now log back into the AEM as a that user and try to execute that workflow. It should work fine