Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Editable Templates and Experience Fragments with MSM

Level 2

Per this thread, Translating Editable Template , there is a suggestion to use content or experience fragments in an editable template for translation. 

I have gone down this road using 6.4 to little success.  I have tried using Fragment translation two ways, within and outside the variants.  The issue is within the editable template the Experience Fragment path is not translated from en to the other languages.  What is the best practice for header and footer content using fragments and MSM?

Here is what I have tried:

1. I created a sites with multiple locals in the 6.4 standard with language masters and languages which roll out to regions and locales. 
  2. I created an experience fragment with the language structure siteName/language/fragmentName
  3. I create a live copy of the fragment languages
  4. AEM properly created the fragment in the new language with inheritance setup
  5. I broke inheritance to change the root path for the main menu and image link path
  6. I added the header fragment to the editable template as a component
  7. I rolled out changes to all locales
  8. Header fragment remained en
  9. I added a header container to the template
  10. Authored a fragment component in the header container with the content fragment en path
  11. Changes automatically rolled out to other locales
  12. Fragment path was still en on all locales

Example Content paths

Fragment paths:

• English: /content/experience-fragments/smith/en/global/master.html
  • French: /content/experience-fragments/smith/fr/global/master.html
  • French within Experience: /content/experience-fragments/smith/en/global/header-french.html

Page paths:

• English: /content/smith/language-masters/en.html
  • French: /content/smith/language-masters/fr.html
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi again,

As of now, translation workflows do not look for templates. Therefore, please use Experience Fragments directly inside pages or use i18n. Refer to Translating Editable Template for more details.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Administrator

Checking this with internal team.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi

It seems that the Experience Fragments are used inside editable template. For translating content, please use Experience Fragments directly inside pages and not through templates. Let us know if you face issues with the same.

Level 2

Yes, the issue remains the same and it does not solve how to translate the header and footer within a page.

Level 10

Are you saying that Experiecne Fragments are not translated when you use them on their own?

Level 2

I can translate the fragments individually.  The include of the fragment on the page does not update to match the language of the page.

Level 10

@Ankur Sial - issue is still here - any suggestion - should a support ticket be logged?

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi again,

As of now, translation workflows do not look for templates. Therefore, please use Experience Fragments directly inside pages or use i18n. Refer to Translating Editable Template for more details.

Level 2

Hello Ankur,  If templates are not looked at for translation workflows then what is the Adobe recommended approach for creating a header a footer for multi-lingual sites?  If they cannot be in the template then we need to go back to the iparsys approach so everything is translated correctly without impacting the authoring. 

Level 1

Hi, were you able to find a solution to this problem? We have the same scenario and can't figure out a way of having translated header and footer into several languages if it is not with the static templates iparsys approach. Thanks!

Level 2

I have not yet. This is for a sale pursuit we are actively working.  If it progresses I will spend more time finding the correct solution using editable templates. 

Level 2

Hey Miller,

Did you find a solution to this issue?

Level 2

Hello,

We have not investigated further as the project that needed it has not started because of a rebranding effort.  I am attending the session on multi-lingual handling at Summit this year for this question a lone.  It seems ridiculous this does not just work.   I have been using some other contacts at Adobe and they confirm this does not work today. 

I would recommend your own fragment include component that is language aware.  Rather than blindly include the path in the fragment is looks for the fragment path for the proper language.  You have to make sure you handling all the caching cases to ensure you are showing the latest content.  One good option would be an Apache SSI include on the publish side.  This will have apache do the include dynamically getting around the need for invalidation of all pages.  It will always pull the latest fragment HTML without needing to invalidate the parent page. 

Hope that helps.

Level 2

one way to do it is create language copy by using translation workflow.

example -

1. either select create and translate while creating language copy (fr) from English page. make sure no fr language copy of fragment exist.

2. or create a translation project and include your English page. It will ask to create language copy.

But.. but.. but.. this solution only works for creation. While update again the same issue comes.

Level 1
@ Kautuk_sahni Do we have any further update on this thread? Please help me to get the correct approach to overcome this issue. Thanks in advance

Level 2

Hi,
Is there any solution to this issue in AEM 6.5 ?
I have added header and footer (XF) in Structure of template. Now when I am creating the language copy using Microsoft translation, page contents are being translated but Header and footer is not translated.