Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Eclipse - generate javadoc with maven while compiling bundle

Level 4

I have Eclipse that is set to work with CQ and I want to generate javadoc during the bundle compilation. I have 4 projects in Eclipse

• project-default
  • project-default-bundle
  • project-default-components
  • project-default-content

In project-default-bundle(which contains .java classes) I added this to pom.xml file

<plugin> <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId> <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId> <configuration> <excludePackageNames> *.impl </excludePackageNames> </configuration> <executions> <execution> <id>generate-javadoc</id> <goals> <goal>javadoc</goal> </goals> </execution> </executions> </plugin>

bud when I run the maven build(on the project-default project), there is no javadoc generated... I run maven with these goals 'clean install' and profile 'autoInstallPackage'.

I also tried to run these goals 'clean install javadoc:javadoc' but it gives me an error. But when I run maven build with 'javadoc:javadoc' goal on project-default-bundle it generates the javadoc fine.

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

This is not really a CQ/AEM question, but a Maven question and should be addressed in such a forum. But, since I actually know the answer, I will hint you on what to do.

I don't know where you have defined your plugin, in the <build> section or the <reporting> section but I assume it is in the <reporting> section as you should. Then you should use the mvn site command.

You could also bind the execution to another goal. Read about Maven lifecyle at [1]. Each Maven plugins has goals that and you can bind your execution to different phases and goals. However... I would strongly advice AGAINST binding the site or javadoc creation to the install phase or any of its goals, since that will force the developers to runt the site/javadoc every time the system is compiled/installed.

Instead, use a Continuous Build tool, such as TeamCity, Hudson, Jenkins or any other, and have that tool build your javadoc and site on each commit instead. Or once every day.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 6

This is not really a CQ/AEM question, but a Maven question and should be addressed in such a forum. But, since I actually know the answer, I will hint you on what to do.

I don't know where you have defined your plugin, in the <build> section or the <reporting> section but I assume it is in the <reporting> section as you should. Then you should use the mvn site command.

You could also bind the execution to another goal. Read about Maven lifecyle at [1]. Each Maven plugins has goals that and you can bind your execution to different phases and goals. However... I would strongly advice AGAINST binding the site or javadoc creation to the install phase or any of its goals, since that will force the developers to runt the site/javadoc every time the system is compiled/installed.

Instead, use a Continuous Build tool, such as TeamCity, Hudson, Jenkins or any other, and have that tool build your javadoc and site on each commit instead. Or once every day.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html