Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

Dispatcher config changes not reflecting - Rewrite rules changed

Level 2

Hello,

In the Dispatcher configs I made changes to the RewriteRule to handle the redirections. There changes are in dispatcher rewrite.rules file. I have deployed to cloud instance. I dont see my changes are working and no changes in the re-directions. Is there anything I am missing?

5 Replies

Level 9

Hi @cxasha ,

There could be a few reasons why your changes to the Dispatcher rewrite rules are not reflecting:

1. Cache: The Dispatcher might be caching the previous version of the rewrite rules. Make sure to clear the cache after making changes to the rewrite rules. You can do this by restarting the Dispatcher or by manually clearing the cache.

2. Configuration file location: Double-check that you have made the changes in the correct configuration file. The Dispatcher rewrite rules are typically located in the `dispatcher.any` file or a separate `rewrite.rules` file. Ensure that you have made the changes in the correct file and that the file is being used by the Dispatcher.

3. Syntax errors: Check for any syntax errors in the rewrite rules. Even a small syntax error can cause the rewrite rules to fail. Make sure that the syntax of your rewrite rules is correct and follows the expected format.

4. Deployment: Ensure that you have deployed the updated rewrite rules to the correct cloud instance. Double-check that the changes you made are present in the deployed configuration files.

If you have checked all of the above and the changes still do not reflect, it is possible that there might be other factors at play. It would be helpful to review the logs of the Dispatcher and the web server to see if there are any error messages or warnings related to the rewrite rules.

Level 2

Thank you Harikrishna!

Could you provide some more details on how I can clear the cache? I have validated all of my other changes and they are accurate. I am doubt it could be cache issue.

1. Cache: The Dispatcher might be caching the previous version of the rewrite rules. Make sure to clear the cache after making changes to the rewrite rules. You can do this by restarting the Dispatcher or by manually clearing the cache.

Community Advisor

Hi @cxasha 

If you have made changes to the `rewrite.rules` file in the Dispatcher configuration and deployed it to your cloud instance, but the changes are not taking effect.

1. Make sure that the `rewrite.rules` file is located in the correct directory on the cloud instance. The file should be located in the `/etc/httpd/conf.dispatcher.d/` directory on the instance.

2. Check the permissions on the `rewrite.rules` file to ensure that it is readable by the Apache user. The file should have read permissions for the Apache user (`apache` or `httpd`).

3. Verify that the Dispatcher module is enabled in the Apache configuration on the cloud instance. You can check this by running the following command on the instance:

apachectl -M | grep dispatcher
If the output includes `dispatcher_module`, then the module is enabled.

4. Check the Apache error logs on the cloud instance for any errors related to the Dispatcher module or the `rewrite.rules` file. The error logs are typically located in the `/var/log/httpd/` directory.

5. Verify that the changes you made to the `rewrite.rules` file are correct and valid. You can use the `apachectl configtest` command to check the syntax of the Apache configuration files, including the `rewrite.rules` file.

Once you have checked these items, you can restart the Apache service on the cloud instance to ensure that the changes take effect:

systemctl restart httpd

After restarting Apache, you can test the redirections to verify that they are working as expected.

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Did you test your changes locally first? Are these changes working?

Esteban Bustamante

Administrator

@cxasha Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni