Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Disable Basic Authentication

Level 2

I want to disable basic authentication and ran across this thread: How to make CQ5 working with enabled basic http authentication dispatcher .  I didn't get any hits, maybe because the thread was so old, so I'll post here as a new topic.

I know this will break replication, but I'm just curious on how to do it.  It appears that I can set HTTP Basic Authentication on http://localhost:4502/system/console/configMgr/org.apache.sling.engine.impl.auth.SlingAuth enticator to Disabled, but that doesn't seem to work on several AEM 6.2 instances I have tested on.  Replication is still working and I can pass the basic authentication headers to the admin UI and it logs me in.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hm, I would not do it. You should do security testing against a hardened publish instance (with dispatcher in front of it), following the AEM security checklist (see [1]). That's the typical threat scenario.

The /bin/receive servlet is normally (if you implement the security checklist) not reachable from the internet.

Jörg

[1] Security Checklist

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

You should disable basic auth on publish if you want to break replication :-)

Jölrg

Level 2

Right, I know.  I was just wondering if it's feasible to disable.  I am doing some security testing.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hm, I would not do it. You should do security testing against a hardened publish instance (with dispatcher in front of it), following the AEM security checklist (see [1]). That's the typical threat scenario.

The /bin/receive servlet is normally (if you implement the security checklist) not reachable from the internet.

Jörg

[1] Security Checklist

Employee

Instead of disabling basic auth on publish, just don't include Authorization header in the /clientheaders config of the dispatcher configuration.  That effectively prevents basic auth from the outside world.