Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DataSourcePool Service returning null/closed connection

Level 3

To connect to mysql database, we defined JDBC pool service using which we are reading datasource and getting connection to read /write data.

In the back java code finally block, we are doing connection.close(); when we are done with everything but now we are running into issue where its complaining about connection is closed or returning null connection object.

caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connection is closed.

at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.checkOpen(PoolingDataSource.java:175) [day.commons.datasource.jdbcpool:1.0.24]

at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.prepareStatement(PoolingDataSource.java:301) [day.commons.datasource.jdbcpool:1.0.24]

before this exception, below is block of code from which i can see datasource is not null but dataSource.getConnection() call is returning null value along with above exception.

dataSourceService=dataSourceService!=null?dataSourceService:getFromBundle();

DataSource dataSource = (DataSource)dataSourceService.getDataSource(this.defaultDataSource);

logger.info(" getConnection dataSource= "+dataSource);  // here i can see not null value in log file

this.connection = this.connection!=null?this.connection:(dataSource!=null?dataSource.getConnection():null);

logger.info("data source connection= "+connection);  //null value printed here in log file

Do we need to remove connection.close(); calls which we added as best practice or it has something to with pool service OSGI config?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Had the same problem a while back

The settings specified here seem to work for me

Tomcat JDBC Connection Pool configuration for production and development – CodingpediaOrg

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

If you are injecting DataSourcePoolService then you don't need to manage the boiler plate code to open/close the connection in your code which is the recommended way. The container would handle the lifecycle of service/connections.

Check -

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Querying MySQL data using an Adobe Experience Manager 6.4 DataSource...

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Injecting a DataSourcePool Service into an Adobe Experience Manager ...

Level 3

thanks for response gaurav,

I think i looked at it before but if you look at here Adobe Experience Manager Help | Injecting a DataSourcePool Service into an Adobe Experience Manager ...  line # 115 of CustomerServiceImp.java, they are closing connection in finally block but not in other DB calls like in  getCustomerData().

Level 10

that doesn't make any sense to me. I would probably wait for other's feedback on it.

Level 10

That is an older community article - for 6. Please refer to this newer one -- Adobe Experience Manager Help | Querying MySQL data using an Adobe Experience Manager 6.4 DataSource...

There is also a video showing it all working.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Had the same problem a while back

The settings specified here seem to work for me

Tomcat JDBC Connection Pool configuration for production and development – CodingpediaOrg