Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

data migration

Level 3

Hi,

I am new to adobe CQ5. I already have a site developed in sharepoint . It contain more than 605 pages. I am trying to migrate that content in to adobe cq5. As of now i tried the following ( i am using CQ5.4)

1)sharepoint connector- if i use the share point connector the editing feature will loose.so i drop that idea.

2)site importer-(followed http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/developing/site_importer.htm) but Import component is not enabled.

3)http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/current/wcm/campaigns/landingpages.html followed . I have a master template  (i didnt get the blank canvas template also).

my requirement is that to migrate the data from sharepoint to adobe cq5 without loosing the editing feature of adobe cq5. Is there any way to do that?   i can not move forward because of not getting a way to this migration.

Thanks in advance

Ragam

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Ragam,

You need to separate between "controls" (which would translate to AEM components IIUC) and "content" (pages, assets).

Regarding the content you need to decide, if that content needs to be editable in AEM or not. If you only transfer the content and if you want to replace it anyways (changed messaging, new designs, etc), an option would be top grab all the HTML and put it into a simple page component, which just dumps the complete HTML to the browser. But if you plan to migrate the content into an editable structure, you need to build the components and then transform the sharepoint content into the AEM content structure (as defined by your components). This is a more complicated process, because you have to develop an ETL-like process.

In the end it might be easier and cheaper just to develop the content and let editors migrate the content via copy&paste. At last 600 pages doesn't sound too much (one week of work for 5 people?).

kind regards,

Jörg

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

For you use case -- you referenced the correct AEM doc topics:

http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-4/developing/site_importer.html

Can you provide more details about what your issue is. I am not sure when you loosing editing feature. Are you referring to:

• importing the HMTL content of that page; 
    This is all held in one parsys component (containing the HTML pulled from the imported page), it is not split into separate, appropriate CQ components

Level 3

Thanks. My objective is to port the entire content in the sharepoint in to adobe cq5. I am using CQ5.4 Version. I tried the site importer. Is it a good way to migrate all the content (more than 600 pages) from sharepoint to CQ5? I tried the site importer initially and while importing site, got message import content is not enabled.My site also contains some user controls developed in .net.I refer the thread https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001820. In that thread they didnt prefer site importer for professional website.

Can you please suggest a good method to migrate the whole content from share point to adobe cq5? Or should i need to develop the site from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Ragam

Level 3

Thanks. My objective is to port the entire content in the sharepoint in to adobe cq5. I am using CQ5.4 Version. I tried the site importer. Is it a good way to migrate all the content (more than 600 pages) from sharepoint to CQ5? I tried the site importer initially and while importing site component extractor does not properly showing the components(PFA).My site also contains some user controls developed in .net.I refer the thread https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001820. In that thread they didnt prefer site importer for professional website.

Can you please suggest a good method to migrate the whole content from share point to adobe cq5? Or should i need to develop the site from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Ragam

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Ragam,

You need to separate between "controls" (which would translate to AEM components IIUC) and "content" (pages, assets).

Regarding the content you need to decide, if that content needs to be editable in AEM or not. If you only transfer the content and if you want to replace it anyways (changed messaging, new designs, etc), an option would be top grab all the HTML and put it into a simple page component, which just dumps the complete HTML to the browser. But if you plan to migrate the content into an editable structure, you need to build the components and then transform the sharepoint content into the AEM content structure (as defined by your components). This is a more complicated process, because you have to develop an ETL-like process.

In the end it might be easier and cheaper just to develop the content and let editors migrate the content via copy&paste. At last 600 pages doesn't sound too much (one week of work for 5 people?).

kind regards,

Jörg

Level 3

Thanks Jörg. I would like to ask one more doubt. i am trying to develop a replica of page . Initially i created the master template that include the header and footer section of  the page. I am little confused about the page components and the content components. As per my site its body mainly have 3 sections(Overview,offering,resources), each section have its own background image its own styles and the text also have different styles and allignments.. So should i need to create seperate components for each section?How i can include the the text inside each component? currently i created components for each section and include the parsys in each component. Within that i drag and drop the richtext component that includes the styles that i want to display. Is this approach is a correct one?

I am a beginner in adobe CQ5. So kindly pardon me if my understandings are wrong. I am following http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/developing/components.html.

Thanks in advance,

Ragam

Level 10

Hi Ragam,

Whatever you have done is the right way to do. We need to create components with its respective clientlibs (css,js) and use that component in all the pages where ever necessary. You can go ahead with the same approach.

Thanks,

lokesh

Employee Advisor

Hi Ragam

based on what you are writing, you're doing it correct. When you need to have different styles (CSS, JS) you can create a a dedicated design and select the design per site. This design can include things like background images as well, but you can configure them also per page if that's a requirement.

Instead of always including a parsys and then putting a richtext component into the parsys (which is supposed to be the only component in that specific parsys), you can include the richtext component directly in the page component.

Regards,
Jörg