Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

DAM folder/file naming conventions ?

Level 5

Hi

Can I know the AEM DAM naming conventions and the character restrictions.?

The following is the test I have tried.

1. I have created a folder named “ test ” under “ /content/dam/”
  2. And created one more folder  named “abcd” under “/content/dam/test/”
  3. Later created one more folder named “abcd!@#$%25%5E&()_+nhg” under “/content/dam/test/abcd/”

When I tried to use the move option on the folder “abcd”  the AEM is able to give me the respective dialog for operation, whereas when I try the move option on the “abcd!@#$%25%5E&()_+nhg” folder it is not able to give any popup dialog.

And also I can see the attached JS errors in the browser console.

On this case I got the following questions to put in front of Adobe

1. Is there any DAM folder/file naming conventions .?
  2. If any character restrictions are there on the DAM folder/file name conventions, why restrictions are not implemented on new folder creation dialog.

5 Replies

Level 10

Although its not written down anywhere (not in AEM Docs) - AEM DAM users do not use special chars in naming assets. 

Level 5

smacdonald2008 wrote...

Although its not written down anywhere (not in AEM Docs) - AEM DAM users do not use special chars in naming assets. 

Might be true but from the user perspective they can use at least " - " or " _ " or "Spaces" in the folder naming conventions. also there should be some recommendations/suggestions from Adobe i feel for file size and the folder segregation process and best practices. 

Level 10

Good point - this needs to be written down in AEM docs. I would stay away from all of those. Underscore _ may be ok - you should test. 

I will open a bug on AEM docs to state for Assets - we need to specify naming conventions. 

Employee

For Assets there is already the documentation page:

Any further recommendations and/or questions that you might have, would be welcomed by the Assets documentation team.

Level 5

aheimoz wrote...

For Assets there is already the documentation page:

Any further recommendations and/or questions that you might have, would be welcomed by the Assets documentation team.

Thank you, the documentation is about 6.2 version and i was looking for the 6.1 and earlier versions. And also i remember i have faced a dispatcher cache auto clearing issue when i have used spaces in my file/folder names(AEM 5.6).

Also not sure on the Classic dialog behavior on the special characters on AEM6.2. If possible any one can share the test result of 6.2.