Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

currentNode object throws nullpointer exception

Level 3

In my component's JSP, if I want to reference the current page node using "currentNode" object, it throws a NullPointerException and the whole component then throws a ScriptEvaluationException

My component JSP does have the 'global.jsp' included at the top.

Also, the component throws these exceptions only in a particular site. It works fine in others.

What possible could be the reason for this ? In what conditions does the "currentNode" object be NULL ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Riju Mahana wrote...

I didn't understand the bit "isn't adaptable to a JCR Node object". AFAIK, when we add a component using <cq:include> , it is added to the JCR below the page.

Nope. If you pass a path to <cq:include> which doesn't exist, nothing is added to the JCR (this would represent a security issue). Rather a synthetic resource is created. Since it isn't a JCR Node, it can't be adapted to the node.

My main concern is to get a Query Object for my search component. I need to use

1. currentNode.getSession().getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery()

in my component. With CurrentNode being null,. Is there any other way to get it done ?

resourceResolver.adaptTo(Session.class).getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery() would be the correct way to do this.

Better yet would be to stay entirely in the Sling API:

Iterator<Resource> queryResults = resourceResolver.findResources(stmt, language);

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

currentNode could be null if the current resource isn't adaptable to a JCR Node object, i.e. if it was from a different Resource Provider

Employee

Hi Riju,

Can you provide the stacktrace?

Level 3

I didn't understand the bit "isn't adaptable to a JCR Node object". AFAIK, when we add a component using <cq:include> , it is added to the JCR below the page.

currentNode.getSession().getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery()

in my component. With CurrentNode being null,. Is there any other way to get it done ?

Level 3

I've attached the stacktrace. The gist is below:

Line 72 of my component is:

Query query = currentNode.getSession().getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery(stmt, Query.SQL);

--------------------------------

com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.WCMDebugFilter Error during include of SlingRequestPathInfo: path='/content/mysite/en/insights/jcr:content/mysearch', selectorString='null', extension='html', suffix='null' org.apache.sling.api.scripting.ScriptEvaluationException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /apps/mysite/components/insights/LandingSearch/LandingSearch.jsp at line 72
Caused by: org.apache.sling.api.SlingException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /apps/mysite/components/insights/LandingSearch/LandingSearch.jsp at line 72
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspExceptionInternal(JspServletWrapper.java:683)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:608)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:533)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:449)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.JspScriptEngineFactory.callJsp(JspScriptEngineFactory.java:241)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.JspScriptEngineFactory.access$100(JspScriptEngineFactory.java:86)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.JspScriptEngineFactory$JspScriptEngine.eval(JspScriptEngineFactory.java:441)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.core.impl.DefaultSlingScript.call(DefaultSlingScript.java:361)
    ... 157 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.jsp.apps.mysite.components.insights.LandingSearch.LandingSearch_jsp._jspService(LandingSearch_jsp.java:223)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
    at org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:502)
    ... 162 more

Correct answer by
Employee

Riju Mahana wrote...

Nope. If you pass a path to <cq:include> which doesn't exist, nothing is added to the JCR (this would represent a security issue). Rather a synthetic resource is created. Since it isn't a JCR Node, it can't be adapted to the node.

1. currentNode.getSession().getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery()

resourceResolver.adaptTo(Session.class).getWorkspace().getQueryManager().createQuery() would be the correct way to do this.

Better yet would be to stay entirely in the Sling API:

Iterator<Resource> queryResults = resourceResolver.findResources(stmt, language);

Level 7

Could you use this for the session instead ?

Session session = resource.getResourceResolver().adaptTo(Session.class);

/Johan