Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

CRX-QUICKSTART folder size reached to 112GB

Level 2

Hi @All,

Good Evening,
I am working as AEM-FE.
My AEM instance size reached to 112GB, and now my system has no further space due to that I am unable to launch many applications.

Can anyone help me to compress the size of the folder.
I do not want to re-install AEM. Plz help.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Have you scheduled all the maintenance tasks (DSGC, Workflow, Version, Audit Log Maintenance Purging) and working fine? If not, please try that out.

You mentioned 'I have tried to initiate daily maintenance but even that is not working for me.' does that mean having some issues with the maintenance task and doesn't perform the task at all OR maintenance task gets performed but doesn't help to reduce the size?

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @skumar25,

You can Run Offline Revision Cleanup to compact your AEM instance which is responsible to clear old checkpoints before the maintenance takes place.

Adobe provides a tool called Oak-run for performing revision cleanup. It can be downloaded at the following location:

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak-run/

The tool is a runnable jar that can be manually run to compact the repository. The process is called offline revision cleanup because the repository needs to be shut down in order to properly run the tool. 
Kindly refer below steps

1. Always make sure you have a recent backup of the AEM instance.

Shut down AEM.

2. (Optional) Use the tool to find old checkpoints:

java -jar oak-run.jar checkpoints install-folder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore

3. (Optional) Then, delete the unreferenced checkpoints:

java -jar oak-run.jar checkpoints install-folder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore rm-unreferenced

4. Run the compaction and wait for it to complete:

java -jar -Dsun.arch.data.model=32 oak-run.jar compact install-folder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore

For more info please refer: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/deploying/deploying/revision-cleanup.h...

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Santosh

Community Advisor

@skumar25 You probably need to try offline compaction 

• Shutdown AEM Instance
  • Find Old Checkpoints
  • Remove Unreferenced Checkpoints
  • Compact Oak
  • Restart AEM Instance

Download the oak-run-1.2.7jar and run the following commands.

for Linux/Unix Machine:

## Find old checkpoints
java -Dtar.memoryMapped=true -Xmx8g -jar <oak-jar-path> checkpoints installfolder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore

## Delete unreferenced checkpoints
java -Dtar.memoryMapped=true -Xmx8g -jar <oak-jar-path> checkpoints installfolder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore rm-unreferenced 

## Run compaction
java -Dtar.memoryMapped=true -Xmx8g -jar <oak-jar-path> compact installfolder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore

for Windows Machine:
## Run compaction
java -jar oakrun.jar compact install-folder/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore 

Hope this helps!

Employee Advisor

when you refer to "my instance", what do you mean with it? Is it a shared dev, the stage or production environment? Or rather the environent you operate locally to test your frontend deployments?

In case it's the later and you have space problems on your local development machine, you  should be able to remove it and start over from scratch at any time and just redeploy your code and content (you should have your artifacts versioned and stored in git).

Of course you can try to apply the recommendations made by the others here as well, but that probably takes more time And honestly I wonder how you manage to create such a large instance on your local machine

Community Advisor

@skumar25 Also, if its your local instance, you probably can also check the assets like images/videos/files too- if thats causing the size increase, you could remove some of the assets and have only few as everything might not be needed for local instance.

Level 2

Even I am surprised to see the size of the folder.
I have tried to initiate daily maintenance but even that is not working for me.
No, it's not shared one.

Correct answer by
Level 5

Have you scheduled all the maintenance tasks (DSGC, Workflow, Version, Audit Log Maintenance Purging) and working fine? If not, please try that out.

You mentioned 'I have tried to initiate daily maintenance but even that is not working for me.' does that mean having some issues with the maintenance task and doesn't perform the task at all OR maintenance task gets performed but doesn't help to reduce the size?