Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.

Content fragment Shows Modified as External User

Level 2

All assets in the  content fragment folders in the DAM show the 'Modified'  user as 'External User' instead of an actual AEM user.  We have three different content fragments like videos, shows and live , but only for the videos modified filed shows as external user . I tried debugging not able to find the file where it was fetching from and real root cause for it. Attached the screenshot. We are on AEM 6.5 with service pack 16.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 9.25.44 AM.png

. Any help would be really appreciated. @kautuk_sahni.    @ Jörg_Hoh

9 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, 

This usually happens when the user who modified the resource is no longer available, in other words, when the user has been removed. You can try this yourself: create a user, modify an asset, then remove the user, and check the versioning. You will notice that "external user" appears.

*** Note: If you have access to crx/de, you can see who was that user:

EstebanBustamante_0-1724344948287.png

EstebanBustamante_1-1724344988742.png

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

Level 2

we have all the producers(users) , No user is removed, It happening to all content ragments in our Dam folder. I want to update that external user with actual modified user.

Level 7

does it mean, even if  producers(users) is making update , it shows as external user ??

Level 2

Those CF's are auto generated by AEM , I can see in crx/de as lastmodifiedby : news-system-auth-user, but its showing external user, After sytem creation when I go and edit it, I'm able to see actual modified user.

Level 7

so it is like, system user is creating CF's ? if yes, have system user profile created under profile, n have name u like 

Level 2

Its OOTB functionality, When there is no name for USER , AEM is considering it as External USER. For published column its coming as news-system-auth-user instead of external user.

Level 2

I'm trying to overlay this file "/libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/contentrenderer/card/asset/asset.jsp"  but I'm getting this error.  An unexpected error occurred while overlaying node /libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/contentrenderer/card/asset/asset.jsp

Level 7

what i mean is, you have one system user, and it is registered as user / who has access to certain operation like author user 

Is it possible to check your system user 

http://localhost:4502/crx/explorer/index.jsp 

and look for and see what is the name given their 

Rite18_0-1724442125894.png