Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Clientside caching of clientlibs and images

Level 1

Hello,

I'm working at a CQ5 application with activated Apache dispatcher module.
Clientlibs (CSS, Javascript) and images are getting cached by the dispatcher, but the browser every time receives a response code 200 instead of 304 for using the cached files on client side.
When I look at the response header I don't receive any ETag information. Could this be the fault?

Example response of clientlibs.js:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:25:05 GMT Server: Apache/2.4.6 (Ubuntu) X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN Accept-Ranges: bytes Vary: Accept-Encoding Content-Encoding: gzip Cache-Control: max-age=604800, public Expires: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 09:25:05 GMT Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=85 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: application/javascript

The response header of CSS files and other images look analogous.
I want the browser to use the already loaded and cached files.

The current setting is:

<FilesMatch "\.(css|js|gif|jpe?g|png|ico)$"> FileETag MTime Size <IfModule mod_expires.c> ExpiresActive On ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 week" </IfModule> <IfModule mod_headers.c> Header append Cache-Control "public" </IfModule> </FilesMatch>

I also tried the newest version (4.1.8) of the dispatcher plugin (currently used 4.1.5), but no success.

Another user had a kind of similar question one year ago.

Do you have any suggestions? ETag should be enabled by default at Apache.

Kind regards,

Matthias

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hope you are aware of adv/disadvantage of adding etag.

It should work & also dispatcher does not have any role here & is apache mis configuration casing it.   Just for a debug can you add [1] in virtual host directive & let me know how it goes.

[1]  FileETag MTime Size

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hope you are aware of adv/disadvantage of adding etag.

It should work & also dispatcher does not have any role here & is apache mis configuration casing it.   Just for a debug can you add [1] in virtual host directive & let me know how it goes.

[1]  FileETag MTime Size

Level 2

How was this marked as a correct answer, when the problem raised is not solved.

Level 1

Hello Sham,

Thanks for your reply.

I already tried just with active dispatcher and the above stated config (deleted all the rewrite rules etc) and it didn't work.

Even if I just activate and configure the dispatcher module and do nothing else, no ETag will be served.

DocumentRoot "/dispatcher-cache" <Directory "/dispatcher-cache"> <IfModule disp_apache2.c> SetHandler dispatcher-handler ModMimeUsePathInfo On </IfModule> SetOutputFilter INCLUDES Options FollowSymLinks Includes AllowOverride None Require all granted </Directory> LoadModule dispatcher_module /mod_dispatcher.so <IfModule disp_apache2.c> # location of the configuration file. eg: 'conf/dispatcher.any' DispatcherConfig /dispatcher.any # location of the dispatcher log file. eg: 'logs/dispatcher.log' DispatcherLog    /var/log/apache2/dispatcher.log # log level for the dispatcher log # 0 Errors # 1 Warnings # 2 Infos # 3 Debug DispatcherLogLevel 3 DispatcherNoServerHeader 1 DispatcherDeclineRoot 0 DispatcherPassError 0 DispatcherUseProcessedURL 1 </IfModule>

The basic Apache configuration has not been changed at all.