Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Build new list / table editor in dialog

Level 3

Hi There ,

I 'm struck with a unique requirement where ,  in a dialog using a path field , when the author selects a particular node and presses tab , i have to display the full list of properties of the node under the path field as a list or table editor so that the author can have them editable . 

So lets say in my jcr I have 'nodeA ' with following properties 

'name' = ''nodeA' ,'value'='A',code='A'

Author in a dialog of a component which has path field select nodeA and clicks on tab , the properties of node should be displayed under the path field in a table or list manner and have them editable so that he can change the name from 'nodeA' to 'nodeAA' .

Any one has done any similar requirement before . I may need to create a custom xtype or have some script triggered on selection changed listener  .  Does any one have any better thoughts on achieving this functionality ?  Any pointers on developing this custom xtype or script ?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Hi,

AEM is actually just a Webserver. I would not go to the length of using components and pages and such for this. Those techniques are used when you create pages for viewing. In this case, you are creating an administration UI. Take a look at http://localhost:4502/crx/de/index.jsp#/libs/cq/i18n/translator or any of the other WCM administration tools such as the replicator. They are using a lot of the "dialogue techniques" but not in a dialogue.

/Ove

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 6

Hey... take a moment to stop and think here...

What are you trying to do really? Could you from the node with the dialogue, select ANY other node and then start to manipulate on the properties? What you then are doing is creating a miniature CRX/DE Light property editor.

I would not use a dialogue for this, I would create something similar to the CRX/DE functionality. A page where an author could go in and point to a node and edit SELECTED properties. This is how it is done with the translator tool and some other features in AEM. What you sortof is describing is a form of Bulk Editor. You STILL should not go for a Dialogue here.

Please have your system architect explain that they won't get that requirement. Not done that way at least.

/Ove

Level 3

Hi  ove,

thanks for your reply and suggested approach. It looks a bit natural and probably the way to go.  On a page , I can drop a component on whose edit mode , author can select a node and on press of OK,  i can build a editor for user to edit properties and save . Instead of author clicking on button twice (on dialog ok and save) can user from HTML page , directly select node from jcr , edit properties and save? 

Correct answer by
Level 6

Hi,

AEM is actually just a Webserver. I would not go to the length of using components and pages and such for this. Those techniques are used when you create pages for viewing. In this case, you are creating an administration UI. Take a look at http://localhost:4502/crx/de/index.jsp#/libs/cq/i18n/translator or any of the other WCM administration tools such as the replicator. They are using a lot of the "dialogue techniques" but not in a dialogue.

/Ove