Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Best Practices for Deleting Pages

Level 1

What are best practices for authors for deleting vs. deactivating a page? If you delete a page, you lose all of the content. So what if authors wanted to bring that page back at some point? From my research, it looks like a developer can recover the deleted page if a version was created. But that isn’t the most ideal solution. If you just deactivate a page, how do you ensure you don’t accidentally reactivate the page in the future (like when you are doing a tree activation)? Do deactivated pages, that you won't want to completely delete for some reason, need to be moved to a separate folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Delete

As you said, instance will lose the content permanently but may not be able to recover older content because of version purge [0]

Deactivate

You keep the content only on author which you may later need to use/modify/publish. As far as accidentally reactivating is concerned, you can easily tackle with permission and hooking a workflow where users will not be able to directly activate any page. All page activation can be directed via a governed approval process where right owner can verify.

Use deactivate + permission + workflow

[0] https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/deploying/using/version-purging.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Delete

As you said, instance will lose the content permanently but may not be able to recover older content because of version purge [0]

Deactivate

You keep the content only on author which you may later need to use/modify/publish. As far as accidentally reactivating is concerned, you can easily tackle with permission and hooking a workflow where users will not be able to directly activate any page. All page activation can be directed via a governed approval process where right owner can verify.

Use deactivate + permission + workflow

[0] https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/deploying/using/version-purging.html

Level 10

Great anwer Praveen. I marked your response as correct.