Expand my Community achievements bar.

Approach for Large User Base validation

Level 4

We are converting website to AEM 6.1. Current website is having 2,00,000 (two hundred thousand user base).

They already have SSO implemented and have end point (Web service) to validate the user credentials.

Now as we are doing this in AEM 6.1. What is the best approach of the below. Or if you have another best approach please suggest.

1. Have all those 2,00,000 (two hundred thousand user base) user nodes be created within AEM and assign a group for giving permissions and use the default  J Security check to validate the users. Is it good idea/best practice to create that user nodes and maintain them with in AEM ?

2. Do not create any user in AEM. Call the end point and pass userid/password to the end point web service. Based on the response from the end point create a cookie using Java script and when user signs out delete that cookie.

This way we are not saving anything in CRX. But we are dependent on third party.

Considering large user base. Which approach you will suggest?

2 Replies

Level 7

I think creating that many users in AEM is not at all recommended. I would definitely go with 2. Is there a working POC for 2, then go with 2.

That many nodes is not recommended.

Thanks

Tuhin

Employee

Hi,

this numbers should not present a problem for AEM, if you have a Publish farm then SCD would be used to sync the users.

I'd be more interested to understand the use case, will the users simply be logging into AEM or will their profile be used in some way? By this I mean will you be storing personal details about the user. If you have an existing system managing your user profiles then it would be better to integrate with that, rather than storing details in two places.

Regards,

Opkar