Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM in the Cloud | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

AEM in the Cloud by Krzysztof Ryk

Abstract

Should I be afraid? What does this mean for me and my project? Hopefully, we will find the answer in this article.

The old way
I am old enough to remember the Hardware Sizing Guidelines - guidelines to help you estimate the size of your infrastructure. At the beginning of each project, after collecting the requirements, we used Adobe formulas to design infrastructure. The formula may suggest something definitive, infallible, but in practice, the calculations required the adoption of certain factors, such as applicationComplexity or cacheRatio. More or less, it was always a form of guesswork.

Finally, at the end of the day, the suggestion was usually made that we just need to launch it and see how the system behaves.

Moreover, every marketer knows there are traffic peaks (how many Black Fridays have we spent in the office monitoring traffic and preventing incidents?), so we either plan with a reserve or we are able to scale AEM on the fly.

On-prem hosting (less and less popular due to Adobe's Managed Service policy) requires a dedicated team, monitoring and maintenance and is generating significant costs (note the fact that support should work 24/7!).

In return, we get full flexibility and control over our resources, the ability to introduce any processes (or the ability not to introduce them) and, consequently, practically complete independence.

Infrastructure aside, let's summon the subject of AEM's upgrade: usually a difficult process, often turning into a project lasting several months. It effectively supports product fragmentation and, on average, reduces the quality of the project. (more in my last article: AEM Upgrade to 6.5)

Cloud
Brak alternatywnego tekstu dla tego zdjęcia
Okay, the title of the article reveals cards - what does the AEM as a Cloud Service approach contribute to the above problems? What new problems does it generate?

Let's start with the infrastructure, cutting the long story short: we don't care about it. I could probably end the article on this, but maybe it would be better to go into details:
1. The infrastructure is scaled based on the actual traffic and actual activity and it has an Author cluster as default; this avoids downtime for maintenance tasks.
2. What does such a change translate to? No more a priori planning - infrastructure will scale depending on current traffic. Also on Black Friday.
3. Adobe by default provides a CDN service in its stack, which was not always present, even in medium-complex multi-country solutions.
The version updates policy is also addressed in the Cloud Service model: instances

Read Full Blog

AEM in the Cloud

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies