Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

AEM 6.5 Vanity with and without Redirect Vanity 301 checkbox

Level 8

Can someone please explain how do Vanities with and without the Redirect Vanity 301 checkbox work.

I can see that the one with the Redirect Vanity 301 checkbox set opens the resource and changes the URL to the resource one.

The one without the Redirect Vanity 301 checkbox set only opens the resource while the URL stays the same. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

A "Vanity URL" allows you to create user-friendly URLs that redirect to actual content pages. Vanity URLs are often used to create short, memorable URLs that are easier for users to remember and share. When creating vanity URLs, there are two main options: "Vanity without Redirect" and "Vanity with Redirect."

1. Vanity without Redirect: When you create a vanity URL without a redirect, accessing the vanity URL directly in the browser's address bar will load the content directly without any redirection. The vanity URL is essentially an alternative URL that points to the same content as the original page URL. This option is useful for creating easy-to-remember URLs for marketing purposes or campaigns.

2. Vanity with Redirect: When you create a vanity URL with a redirect, accessing the vanity URL in the browser's address bar will trigger a 301 (permanent) redirect to the original page URL. This means that when a user accesses the vanity URL, they are automatically redirected to the original content page. The "Vanity 301" checkbox is used to specify that the redirect should be a 301 redirect, which is considered a permanent redirect and is beneficial for search engine optimization (SEO) purposes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

A "Vanity URL" allows you to create user-friendly URLs that redirect to actual content pages. Vanity URLs are often used to create short, memorable URLs that are easier for users to remember and share. When creating vanity URLs, there are two main options: "Vanity without Redirect" and "Vanity with Redirect."

1. Vanity without Redirect: When you create a vanity URL without a redirect, accessing the vanity URL directly in the browser's address bar will load the content directly without any redirection. The vanity URL is essentially an alternative URL that points to the same content as the original page URL. This option is useful for creating easy-to-remember URLs for marketing purposes or campaigns.

2. Vanity with Redirect: When you create a vanity URL with a redirect, accessing the vanity URL in the browser's address bar will trigger a 301 (permanent) redirect to the original page URL. This means that when a user accesses the vanity URL, they are automatically redirected to the original content page. The "Vanity 301" checkbox is used to specify that the redirect should be a 301 redirect, which is considered a permanent redirect and is beneficial for search engine optimization (SEO) purposes.

Level 8

Thank you very much @Nishant-Singh for answering.

Can I somehow detect that the loaded content is from a vanity when configured as "Vanity without Redirect"? I am asking since I have a Disclaimer for all the pages in the content tree and it does not work correctly when using "Vanity without Redirect".