Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.5 Solr Search

Level 7

Hi,

Looking to implement full text search and evaluating a solution to implement.

I am looking at following https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/query/solr.html.

and https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/deploying/deploying/queries-and-indexi...

Do I need to do any coding to push content to solr server or having oak:index of solr remote configuration is enough for solr server to index content pages?

Do I need to write any different kind of search queries to retrieve search results? ( search result would be a link to page, where text presents)

I see mention of solrj in above link but not more details on why it is mentioned.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sri

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @sreenu539 ,

There are two approaches to integrate Solr search with AEM.

1) Utilising the AEMs internal Solr -

The advantage here is, no external integration required, but slow down the AEM instance performance when there are large number of pages because this uses AEMs resources for search.

2) By integrating with external Solr - using Solrj bundle

Here we are separating the entire search away from AEM and moving it to Solr. Advantage here is we can utilise the Solr's entire in built features (For eg: Faceting, sorting etc) by utilising the Solr APIs. But a considerable amount of time is required to setup & develop the search module (Java code to push the data to Solr , front end calls to retrieve the data, A developer with good understanding of Solr setup etc).

External Solr integration is recommended when there are large number of content pages(including multi lingual content). 

A recommended read about this two approaches here.

FAQ about AEM Solr Integrations

Indexing & Retrieval

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

If you want to push content to external solr search then you have to push content whenever content is activated.

check the connecter here https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/ec/101654/apache-solr-connector-for-aem 

Arun Patidar

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @sreenu539 ,

There are two approaches to integrate Solr search with AEM.

1) Utilising the AEMs internal Solr -

The advantage here is, no external integration required, but slow down the AEM instance performance when there are large number of pages because this uses AEMs resources for search.

2) By integrating with external Solr - using Solrj bundle

Here we are separating the entire search away from AEM and moving it to Solr. Advantage here is we can utilise the Solr's entire in built features (For eg: Faceting, sorting etc) by utilising the Solr APIs. But a considerable amount of time is required to setup & develop the search module (Java code to push the data to Solr , front end calls to retrieve the data, A developer with good understanding of Solr setup etc).

External Solr integration is recommended when there are large number of content pages(including multi lingual content). 

A recommended read about this two approaches here.

FAQ about AEM Solr Integrations

Indexing & Retrieval